Anyone know the Regs on this ?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, May 21, 2017.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Hey Guys, Hope everyone's weekend was pleasant. I was listening to a radio show and heard some stories of guys that were put OOS for various reasons, and one claimed that he got arrested for arguing with the DOT Officer because he wanted to disengage the truck (a 3500 Pick-up) from his trailer and driver home for his 10 hour OOS violation. According to the caller the Trooper told him no you can't use your truck for any reason and it is OOS for the next ten hours. Anyway I guess he must of pissed off the Trooper and he was arrested for some reason, Some of the other callers said the Trooper was wrong some said he was right. Well my question is.
    If for some reason my truck is put OOS for HOS violation or something not related to the safe operation of the vehicle do I have to leave it with my trailer and find a way home or can I do what the caller requested and disengage my trailer and use my truck for personal conveyance since I do from time to time use it for just that.

Thanks Guys, Have a Great Night. Stay Safe

garkeller Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Regulations Section

Guidance for § 396.9: Inspection of motor vehicles and intermodal equipment in operation.
    Question 1: Under what conditions may a vehicle that has been placed ‘‘out of service’’ under §396.3 be moved?

Guidance: The vehicle may be moved by being placed entirely upon another vehicle, towed by a vehicle equipped with a crane or hoist, or driven if the ‘‘out of service’’ condition no longer exists.

Question 2: Is it the intent of §396.9 to allow "out of service" vehicles to be towed?

Guidance: Yes; however, not all out of service vehicles may be towed away from the inspection location. The regulation sets up a flexible situation that will permit the inspecting officer to use his/her best judgment on a case-by-case basis.

<<>>

§395.13 Drivers declared out of service.
    (a) Authority to declare drivers out of service. Every special agent of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (as defined in appendix B to this subchapter) is authorized to declare a driver out of service and to notify the motor carrier of that declaration, upon finding at the time and place of examination that the driver has violated the out of service criteria as set forth in paragraph (b) of this section.

(b) Out of service criteria. (1) No driver shall drive after being on duty in excess of the maximum periods permitted by this part.

(2) No driver required to maintain a record of duty status under §395.8 or §395.15 of this part shall fail to have a record of duty status current on the day of examination and for the prior seven consecutive days.

(3) Exception. A driver failing only to have possession of a record of duty status current on the day of examination and the prior day, but has completed records of duty status up to that time (previous 6 days), will be given the opportunity to make the duty status record current.

(c) Responsibilities of motor carriers. (1) No motor carrier shall:

(i) Require or permit a driver who has been declared out of service to operate a commercial motor vehicle until that driver may lawfully do so under the rules in this part.

(ii) Require a driver who has been declared out of service for failure to prepare a record of duty status to operate a commercial motor vehicle until that driver has been off duty for the appropriate number of consecutive hours required by this part and is in compliance with this section. The appropriate consecutive hours off-duty may include sleeper berth time.

(2) A motor carrier shall complete the “Motor Carrier Certification of Action Taken” portion of the form MCS-63 (Driver-Vehicle Examination Report) and deliver the copy of the form either personally or by mail to the Division Administrator or State Director Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, at the address specified upon the form within 15 days following the date of examination. If the motor carrier mails the form, delivery is made on the date it is postmarked.

(d) Responsibilities of the driver. (1) No driver who has been declared out of service shall operate a commercial motor vehicle until that driver may lawfully do so under the rules of this part.

(2) No driver who has been declared out of service, for failing to prepare a record of duty status, shall operate a commercial motor vehicle until the driver has been off duty for the appropriate number of consecutive hours required by this part and is in compliance with this section.

(3) A driver to whom a form has been tendered declaring the driver out of service shall within 24 hours thereafter deliver or mail the copy to a person or place designated by motor carrier to receive it.

(4) Section 395.13 does not alter the hazardous materials requirements prescribed in §397.5 pertaining to attendance and surveillance of commercial motor vehicles.

[44 FR 34963, June 18, 1979, as amended at 47 FR 53392, Nov. 26, 1982; 51 FR 12622, Apr. 14, 1986; 53 FR 18058, May 19, 1988; 53 FR 38670, Sept. 30, 1988; 53 FR 47544, Nov. 23, 1988; 60 FR 38748, July 28, 1995; 68 FR 22516, Apr. 28, 2003; 70 FR 50073, Aug. 25, 2005; 75 FR 17245, Apr. 5, 2010; 77 FR 28451, May 14, 2012]

garkeller, Ryan S2016 and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No, you may not drive away in any capacity even personal conveyance. Once you have been put OOS for an HOS violation you lose the opportunity to use PC, truck and trailer stay right where they put you OOS. Your only choices are to sleep in the truck or get a ride to a nearby hotel, house, or have another qualified driver come drive your rig away for you.

The theory is that even though you can drive a commercial motor vehicle off-duty under personal conveyance, once placed out of service it is a violation of 49 CFR 395.13(2) to operate a commercial motor vehicle after being placed out of service until the appropriate number of hours has passed to reset your log. Your bobtail truck is still a commercial motor vehicle in most cases, except may you as a hot shot with a lower gvwr truck, although if the gvwr is greater than 10,001 pounds even then it is still a CMV.

The driver in question most likely was arrested for disobeying a direct and lawful order, he was told to stay put and refused to do so, and was attempting to operate a CMV in violation of the regulations, so arrest was the only way to shut him down. There was guidance to this question, however when I just went to the FMCSA site the guidance question is still there but the answer is gone, don't know if it is a script error or because the FMCSA is reviewing and updating all guidance q&a's it is unavailable at the moment.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Have to go to the CFR...

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Thank You I have been looking through the Regs book and for some reason I couldn't find the chapter on this much appreciated

7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    You could how ever probably unload one of the cars off your trailer and drive it away as long as the conditions were right.
    Most of my customers cars are plated and I have moved them back and forth for years.
    If I called any of them and asked if I could borrow there car to go get a hotel room they would say sure no problem.

Lite bug and brian991219 Thank this.
  8. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    That's an idea as well, only issue is clients like CarMax and Ready Auto don't want them driven. I have informed Ready who is Manheim Auctions that I have my own fully insured transporter plates and can perform drive-a-ways for them but they say the liability is to high if there was an accident my fault or not. Same with United and CarMax some loads are going 20 miles or less and they want them hauled on a trailer, not sure the method to their madness but who am I to argue.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California

Sounds good but I don't think that'll fly because when you're put out of service for HOS unloading the vehicle would fall under on duty not driving.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    As far as I know when you are put out of service you can still do work you just can't drive.
    You would however need a ten hour break starting from the time you were done unloading.

mnmover, brian991219 and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.