Anyone successfully transition into a similar business.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rahtek, May 17, 2018.

1. rahtek

rahtek Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I was getting ready to buy a new truck and start running my own numbers but I just can't spend another second otr. Im just not built for it and the new eld mandate makes it impossible for me to cope.

I was thinking of buying a 26 foot box truck and doing local work around Chicago with the ultimate goal of transitionING into specialty distribution.

Currently all my equipment is payed off, I have great credit, and good amount of savings. I guess I can always get into real state like double yellow but being a landlord isnt for me.

Just looking to see if anyone successfuly move away from trucking into a similar business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If you have a true passion for something go and try it. But to go do something else because someone did, or is, doesn’t sound like a smart decision to me.

I think this business gets to everyone at some point, it’s not an easy business to be in all the time. I have times where I wish I was doing something different and home every night. And there’s times where I feel like I could easily stay out for a month if I wanted to. I think it’s just normal to feel like that.

fordconvert, xsetra and rahtek Thank this.
  4. Baty Dispatch

Baty Dispatch Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Nevada
    I look at it like this. Where did you get the money to pay off your equipment? Where did you get your money to put into your savings? I bet it was all from trucking, just a guess. Stay in it, you sound like you are doing good. The ELD in owner operators trucks will soon be gone if OOIDA gets their way.

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I doubt ELD will go away. Too much money involved, politicians and lobbyists.

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    You should pay attention a little better. ELD’s aren’t going anywhere, even OOIDA knows this and has quit wasting resources fighting them. They are now focused on hours of service reform. By making the hours of service more favorable to shippers/receivers by giving them a three hours window that doesn’t count towards the 14hr limit. I say leave the HOS alone, and let’s focus on detention pay instead of doing what this industry has always been so good at doing, giving away time for nothing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.