Anyone use an out-of-state insurance agent?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    My insurance is up for renewal very soon and I've been bombarded with calls for insurance and emails.

This is okay because on one hand Progressive raise my rate $500, then my agent looked at it and realized I work in a smaller radius so it went down I don't know $1,000 Maybe. Ironically they would not give me a smaller radius for this year.

So I'm going to call and get quotes and see what anyone else can do.

But I see a lot of these agencies contacting me are in other states.

Now I realize the actual insurance company is going to be in whatever state but it kind of makes me a little nervous if I am in Pennsylvania and I have an agent that's in Missouri or Oklahoma or North Dakota or something like that.

Should I really only be looking for agents that are local to me or is that okay to have an agent that many states away?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    Call WHA Insurance. My agent is Tina Sams and she's great. She's on the opposite coast as myself but it's not an issue. Claims departments are 24/7 and COIs can be added yourself via the internet in minutes.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Answer them all and let them shop it around. I do it every year, then give the rates to my agent and they are always beat by a long shot.

feldsforever and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Can check out the company I use Rig insurance. (802) 861-4477 i use a guy named Adam. Great customer rep. They have a online portal to issue insurance certs. 24/7 can do it by yourself in less then 5 minutes. Im at 9k for the year going into my 3rd Year no accidents 1. 6 over warning. They are based out or VT. Im out of RI. Ext 205 for adam. Good luck

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I live in Florida and use an agent up in NY and my policy is with Progressive. As a matter of fact I also switched my personal auto insurance through my NY agent.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Most commercial lines insurance brokers are licensed to do business in all 50 states, so yes feel free to call a broker in any state. I live in California and my broker is in Ohio. I was getting all of the calls for my renewal as well, and wound up staying with my existing broker because they had the lowest rate.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have to say I called there and I spoke with Adam.

Even though he knew I was not going to be able to go with him he stayed on the phone with me for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and he explained things to me about insurance that no one else has been able to.

This guy is the most knowledgeable guy I have ever spoken to about trucking insurance and he's a great guy.

If you need trucking insurance I highly highly highly recommend that you call him.

nikmirbre and User666 Thank this.
  9. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I have had an Agency that I found through NAST out of Nashville

10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Mine is out of state. No problems with that.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Doesn’t matter. As long as the Agency, or Ins. Co. is Licensed to sell Insurance in your State. My agents in the next State. Actual insurance co, is Northland.

User666 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.