Anyone using an oral appliance for sleep apnea?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by truckerdad57, Oct 14, 2010.

1. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Anyone using an oral appliance for treatment of their sleep apnea?

There has been a LOT of marketing by folks who make and fit oral appliances for the treatment of sleep apnea to trucking. Oral appliances are a device that is fitted to your mouth that moves your jaw forward keeping your airway open. They can be effective for mild-moderate sleep apnea.

The issue for truck drivers is what the FMCSA-Medical Review Board says about them... they say NO MEDICAL CARD with an oral appliance because they can not tell if you are using it.

The Truckers for a Cause chapter of A. W. A. K. E. is a support group for truck drivers with sleep apnea. In our November conference call meeting we will be discussing oral appliances.

I am hoping that if there are any drivers succesfully using an oral appliance they could PM or make contact. I have only found one so far.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Mine is too severe for an OA, so I'm hooked to the CPAP, three years as of tomorrow (Friday, 10/15).

Changed my life.

I'll be interested to see how this issue turns out though.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I can't get use to the CPAP. I guess I have to give up driving. :(

5. tramp116

tramp116 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dallas, Tx
    I had a real problem getting used to that nose plug thing on the CPAP. I finally got rid of it and went to a nose & mouth mask. Just like the oxygen masks pilots use. Things been great ever since. Just have to remember to shave every day. The silicone won't seal around the face with even a day's growth.

As for the oral piece, I know several friends who tried it in combination with the CPAP. Turned out the oral piece didn't do anything.

Something most sleep doctors aren't telling people. An awful lot of apnea IS NOT caused by the tongue falling in the back of your mouth, blocking your throat. That idea is where the name OBSTRUCTIVE apnea came from. But then they found out that an awful lot of apnea sufferers sleep on their side. I'm one of them. If you sleep on your side, the tongue can't fall back into your throat. People like me don't have the obstructive type. We have what's called Central Apnea. A poorly studied condition of the nervous system. But the insurance companies don't have Central Apnea on their lists. So the doctors mark it Obstructive. CPAP is the only treatment for Central Apnea. Surgery is a waste of time. As is the oral appliance.

Do you mostly sleep on your side or your back?

6. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    Actually central apneas are a rarer form of sleep apnea that is well known and documented.

A type of machine known as a BiPAP is often used for treating cental apneas as the brain forgets to tell you to breathe. Apneas can be a combination of central and obstructive (mixed apneas).

Obstructive apneas will be present when sleeping on either your back or your side. That's why a good sleep study will make sure you sleep on both your back and side while being tested to see what is happening.

Many people have more obstructions when sleeping on their back than side.

This sleep stuff can get complicated.. it's why they have doc's that specialize in sleep medicine.

7. RobertSmith

RobertSmith Medium Load Member

I got a question on this. I just started driving. My wife and people near me think i have sleep apnea. I don't really feel tired during the day, and have no problem staying awake behind the wheel.

If I decide to get checked out on my own, how will this effect my driving career. Will I have to take time off?

8. Tx Apap User

Tx Apap User Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I drove a cdl vehichle for aprox 25 yrs. I put safety as #1 on my job! Six yrs before I retired I began to have trouble sleeping through the night. I’d stare at my alarm clock every hour on the hour and even get up at least once for my bladder during the night. This progressed into feeling way too tired in the morning at work & nearly drifting off & also non stop yawning. I even began to feel so chronically tired that I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown from watching the clock all night instead of really sleeping. Luckly I made a dr apt & got a medicine to keep me more awake during the day. This worked one day, but not at all the rest of that wk. Next, my dr tried a sleeping pill, did not help. I made another apt with my MD. This time a sleep study was suggested & I did it asap. I found out I had moderate sleep apnea. The paperwork I had to fill out for the sleep study revealled that I most likely had this as a child too! I always thought people could just be “light sleepers” & that this was normal. NO, its not! Light sleepers are missing REM sleep. This condition with apnea leads to congested heart failure! My mother died 30 after she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Apnea can be inherited because of abnormalities in your jaw (overbite) or nasal passage obstructions (deviated septum). I had both! My main piece of advice to all CDL drivers is.... you can do well every night using a machine if you know what to ask for. Don’t settle for the cpap machine which is the first one drs will issue to you. I could not use it more than one night but tried fir three before complaining. Those make you feel like you cannot even catch your next breath!!!! The next best machine is called a bipap. Bipap machines allow you to exhale while the air pressure backs off & lowers, then ramps up again to give you your next breath. They work really nice, more natural, costs more but insurance covers them the same. I used my bipap for years! Now I love my apap machine. Apap means “a” for automatic. I chose this machine because I keep gaining weight & sometimes work to loose weight & this machine won’t need settings changed (which require a new sleep study per setting change) each time my weight fluctuates. Apap machines can sense when to ramp up or back down. Its nice because I like being on my side before falling asleep on my back. Different sleep positions change how much pressure is needed for lungs to inflate properly. I will never use another cpap. Only Apap or Bipaps I recomend to anyone suffering from apnea. Sure hope this helps someone. :)

9. Dgde4x4man

Dgde4x4man Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2018
    I have an auto set machine as well and love it. I can't or won't even take a 90 min nap with out it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.