apportioned plates , IFTA sticker

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HAULINGA$$, Feb 21, 2012.

1. HAULINGA$$

HAULINGA$$ Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2012
    San Antonio Tx
    For the life of me I cant get a straight answer! My GVW is less than 26,001 but my terminal boss says im required to have app tags and IFTA sticker the law states im exempt it looks like... cruising Tx La if i need them what are the penalties being ticketed without it seems when I drive by they dont even look but in the last 2 month I've recieved 2 DOT inspections in my jurisdiction of Tx in which im leagal.... looking for answers, thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    What truck and trailer are you using? They add both your truck and trailer GVW together if it's over 26,001 you need it all

4. FormerINAuditor

FormerINAuditor Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Indiana
    Does the vehicle have more than 2 axles? The IFTA regulations states over 26,000 lbs. for a 2-axle vehicle OR 3 axles OR hauling in combination over 26,000 lbs. Any of these alone with make a vehicle subject to IFTA.

A vehicle can be plated with IRP plates and subject to DOT regulations but not subject to IFTA.

5. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Thats wrong know several who have bought regualr plates for 26000 or less and don't have to fool with IRP or IFTA. But you best stay below 26000 gross. Melvin Brooks was one he told me they weighed him several times though, he said he was always under 26000. It would seem to really limit you on loads.

6. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    You keep thinking what you want been there an done that the first thing they do is go for the door than the 2nd is the trailer if its over 26,001lbs get ready

7. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas

What truck and what trailer are you using ??? How much weight are you hauling ???

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    That's the powered vehicle only that requires IFTA for 3 or more axles . GA tried giving hotshotters warnings for having a pickup with a trailer but not having IFTA . It's strange they always gave warnings but never citations for that .

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    This confirms that .
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/mciftafaqs.htm

10. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama

You buy a apportioned plate to haul up to certain weight limit like 33,000 or 80,000. Now you're not going buy a non irp plate for a class 8 truck.
    If you buy a 26,000 lb. plates and you gross out at less than 26,000 theres nothing they can do... Manufactures gwv plates are just their recommendation not carved in stone, now you can say whatever you want
    by your other post talking to you is like talking to a rock.
    Now you can be writtten a ticket or a violation for anything wether it will hold up is another question. But since you claim otherwise please post the regulation for us to see, it could be helpful. I can point you to a trail transcript where a Oh. officer testified legally you can up 20,000 per axle under certain conditons with that in mind and your statement we should all buy 20,000 pound per axle tags?

kimbosa Thanks this.
  11. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    It don't confirm it.
    You need to read the wording.
    Now in mr bayou's case his truck pictured has three axles so he has to.
    But a true hotshot dually is only two axles and they surely are under 26,000lbs. Now you forget the 26,000 applies to power only for that purpose or it you are combination registered for over 26,000 or you weigh more than 26,0000. The rest want hold up in court heres Mo. example if you need ifta;
    The trailer don't come into play except in registered weight or actual weight at time of stop. I'm registered at 33,000 which I consider max for a hotshot. I see some at 40,000 which I think is way overboard.

A. When do I need an International Fuel Tax license and decal?
    You are required to have an IFTA license if you operate in two or more jurisdictions and the power unit:
    • Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs. or higher;
    • Has three or more axles regardless of weight; or
    • Is used in combination and the said combination is 26,001 lbs or higher.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.