APU Inverter 2 hour limit?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by rumandcoke123, Jan 24, 2011.

1. davect

davect Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Connecticut
    Sounds cool thanx a lot man!

Now I am a little confused. How many cig lighter outlets are there? Being the newb I am I was figuring on just one cig lighter LOL.

If there are say 3 cig lighters can I use one for the ps3, one for the TV and laptop, and then one for the fridge that you described? I just don't want to blow any fuses and I want to obviously be in compliance with company policy. Also would the truck have to be idling to use my TV, laptop, and ps3 at the same time or would that not really matter.

I'm just really thinking about the downtime sitting at docks and time on a 34 hour reset of things to do. I would go insane if I had to stare at 4 walls LOL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    The way things are going for company drivers, it won't be long before drivers will paying RENT for SLEEPING in the company owned portable hotel, I mean sleeper!!!
    :biggrin_25510:

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Doesn't covenant charge the driver for idling the truck?

5. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I believe you are correct! Also heard that about Central Refrigerated

6. ETCH5858

ETCH5858 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2009
    So when a driver is in the south in the summer and it's 90 degrees and 97% humidity the APU is gonna shut off after 2 hours. Have fun sleeping. What is Roehls deal. I call BS on the reason that drivers over stuff the inverter. This is another example of someone in Marshfield making a move to try to save money. Roehl new motto should be "Get home more" "Take more BS". Micro managed babysitters is all this company has become.

7. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Given the caliber of people who are being manipulated into working for this and other Mega carriers, the company has to micro manage them!

All it takes is a few dumb steering wheel holders to totally botch things up and destroy a company's profit margin and the company makes all of us pay for it with asinine policies like this one!!!

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    They should already have in place sufficient profit with the idling of the trucks. The reason for limiting the idle on the trucks at the risk of the driver is to further the bonus to the ceo and others. Not about a silly profit margin.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. rangerroehlroadtrainer

rangerroehlroadtrainer Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Moved to Marshfield
    the apu doesnt shut off, the inverter resets. limiting possible damage to the alternator

10. ETCH5858

ETCH5858 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2009
    So the A/c and the battery charging still will work. That is a little better. But really, we are all grown adults and they will only allow 2 hours of tv or other electrical needs. Roehl needs to really get a clue and hire better people if it feels it can't trust its current drivers to be responsible. This is Roehl in a sense admitting it hires marginal drivers because of the way they have to manage them.

truckerdave1970 and Laner99 Thank this.
  11. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Please explain to me how the inverter affects the alternator on the apu. The inverter is connected to the batteries. The apu simply keeps the batteries charged and batteries that aren't worn out should be able to handle the 1800 watt inverters that Thermo King installs when they install the apu. I would recommend not over taxing the inverter since you can burn it out, but it sounds to me that Roehl is trying to force "lights out" after two hours into a ten hour break. I am not a certified electrician, but I know enough to know when something doesn't make sense. If alternators on apus are wearing out through overuse Roehl needs to start investing in some new batteries.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.