APU. Noise and fumes.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Dec 11, 2016.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I have Wabasco and generally tolerate Temps above 30 degrees just dress warmly and don't idle. But all you with APUs, why can't you stay away from me. Why you need to run that noisy, fuming, stinking Apu that you spend thousands of $$ to upkeep when it is 45 degrees outside? Why would they not designate a quiet zone area where no APUs and clunker reefers are not allowed. To even think of spending 12k for an Apu makes me sick, no way in the real world this will pay for itself. So what that I will idle 100 hours a year? I hate to be woken up by your #### Apu; its noise and fumes when it is perfect temperature to sleep with open windows.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    If you can't sleep through these late model APU's and reefers that are #### near silent you obviously aren't tired enough to be sleeping. Get back to work.

4. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I would, if I could tonight I'm pretending to be on Elogs.

Lepton1, Bean Jr. and ramblingman Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get an APU. Good used ones on www.apucenter.com

A quick way to get lung cancer is to sleep with windows open in a truck stop.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Trucking is not for you then. I hate to rob your snowflake sleepy time when I settle down a howling reefer in high range screaming to keep dough at 20 minus.

If you cannot resolve the noise then again trucking may not be for you. One way or another you have to resolve it.

flood, Freddy57 and pattyj Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Typically, I try to stay away from a crowd and be parked at a far end, but I still attract some unwanted neighbors.

8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I don't worry about what's on another man's equipment, if I can't take the heat I move. We all have to make a living, we all have different opinions of what works or doesn't. Definitely needs to find something else to worry about

D.Tibbitt, RubyEagle, brysol01 and 5 others Thank this.
  9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Im with TallJoe halfway on this topic.

Its not so much the Noise...Its The Fumes those Apu's give off- Their Brutal!!!

And as for the investment? I'll Idle- $12k on a unit that will be used a total of maybe 30 nights per year as Im home 3-4 nights a week plus weekends.......

Even if I was an OTR driver out for weeks- How does it really pay for itself? Plus the upkeep

As For Reefers- Sorry Joe- Gotta get used to them- They Suck But we need em.

10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    All right, all right. I just lost it. I love you all truckers pulling reefers, I was one of them too. But the APU's ... No way I'll say a nice word about those. Quite many complain about the money the waste on them. What do they have in return? Epa complience?

x1Heavy and wore out Thank this.
  11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Yea I idle too. Not spending my hard earned cash on a heartburn causin hoopty.

ramblingman and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.