Apu rough idle/blowing soot

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by "B", Jul 8, 2020.

1. "B"

"B" Light Load Member

May 1, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    I just replaced the solenoid now and still does it. To clarify the solenoid was sticking after all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If the filters are good. I would try running with the solenoid out just to make sure the new one isn’t bad. While you have it out move the throttle by hand and see if it responds.

4. "B"

"B" Light Load Member

May 1, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, turns out I may have a bad high pressure switch for my AC, which was just replaced in May, I turned in on in fan mode and it ran fine, switched back to AC then ran fine. -_- this is dumb.

5. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    That wouldn't have made the engine run rough but I guess if it s working now then better run with it.

D.Tibbitt and 062 Thank this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    He mentioned earlier about it throwing a “alt” code. I wonder if it could be a bad ground and it’s just doing random stuff.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. "B"

"B" Light Load Member

May 1, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    Okay well it was and wasn't high pressure that was causing the apu to shut down. They adjusted the timing for the compressor clutch from 8 seconds to 60 seconds. Which allows the motor to build up to the compressor kicking on. The pressure in the compressor was to much for the motor to turn that soon after starting. It wasn't a bad high pressure cut off switch at all. And to make things weird, the tech said my fan switch was fried, and that he was told by the foreman that they are not to replace said switch because it will still run to hot and will kill the motor. Is it just me or does that sound weird?

8. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    You mean the rad fan or condenser fan?

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The soot will plug up the exhaust pipe rather quickly. When you see soot coming out in clumps then things are "getting real".

Not hard to do of it just idles alot to charge the batteries.

Once it is out of the shop I would pull the exhaust pipe and see if it's clogged up.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  10. "B"

"B" Light Load Member

May 1, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    I mean the rad fan. Also exhaust pipe is clear it wasn't running fast enough to burn all the fuel out which is the cause for the black soot. Remember I said it starts up normally and would then bog down and begin shooting out soot and then eventually die. I left it running last night so here's hoping it's still going.

Roadking96 Thanks this.
  11. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    why not both!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.