APU Runs for a few minutes, shuts off with red ENG light

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Roteck, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Roteck

Roteck Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Abilene, TX
    I just got my truck back from the dealer who replaced my front drive axle sway bar, the front drive axle temperature sensor, front drive axle passenger side airbag, my HVAC blend door, and my Espar Heater flame sensor. Before I brought the truck in, my APU was running like butter. I was running it right before I dropped the truck off and it was just fine. The day I got the truck back after I'd driven about 500 miles from the dealership, I stopped for the night and when my APU came on, it ran for a minute flawlessly and shut down with the red triangle and ENG illuminated. I'm not sure what's going on with it, oil is fine, it had a PM done by CSTK in OKC, OK about 3 weeks ago. Something I did notice was that my dash display is different. The digital part anyway, it looks to have been updated to a more recent version maybe because it has the trailer detect option now and that used to not be there as I looked for it since my truck always said trailer disconnected. Something has been updated and I'm wondering if the APU needs to be updated as well. I'm not sure how they work hand in hand like that so I'm asking everyone on here. Any ideas?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    When I had apu issues it was always the ground wire going bad.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Roteck

Roteck Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Abilene, TX
    Where is the ground wire?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I dunno. Shop used to tell me that. I was company. Never owned my own truck. Sorry.

6. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    You gotta look. Take down the bottom plate if it's a trip pack, it's usually underneath towards the back side.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    mine has done this you should trying bleeding the air from anti freeze on the therm stat housing there is a bleeder valve on top. If there any air in the engine it will shut down. you know how to clear it out turn the power off press the reset bottom then restart. Have owned mine for 6 year had this happen twice

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    see you had a temp senor replace bet there some air in your system it not the wires if you got code with a red triangle putting my money bleeding the tripac engine

delta5 Thanks this.
  9. Roteck

Roteck Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Abilene, TX
    Alright so where is said reset button? I'm looking all I see is the on off button.

10. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    It on top of the unit under the bunk on the side towards the back it petty well hidden but you need to find it or it won't restart till you do. It the size of pencil eraser push it in till it clicks

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    There are three things that will cause an Eng code.

1. Low oil pressure (probably not it)
    2. Switch inside unit is off ( will not run at all, immediately trips code)
    3. High coolant temperature (likely culprit)

Did they shut the water valves off to the APU for some reason? If yours has the Arctic package, make sure the water valves are open.

Then, press the reset button on the outside of the control box. (Large black metal box under the bunk with a bunch of wires going to it)

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.