APU Tri-pac not charging batteries

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CommDriver, Mar 7, 2009.

1. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    The APU on my truck is not keeping my batteries charged, even when it is running all night. I do have a lot of electronics (2500 watt inverter, home stereo, 22"LCDtv, microwave, laptop, etc.).

But I have run the engine and charged the batteries up to where it reads "14.1 volts" on the dash, and then turn off the engine, and have the APU kick on almost immediately. Then I turn off all my electronics and go to sleep. After about 3 hours I'm awakened to the sound of the low-battery alarm and then the auxiliary circuits are cut off.

I took it to Thermo King and they tested it saying that the alternator on the APU is charging and they don't know what's wrong.

I am on the way back now to my home terminal to have our mechanics look at it. I'm thinking that if it's not the APU, maybe I have a dead battery. But the truck only has 84,000 miles on it. But that's all I can figure. Unless the APU has to run for a couple of hours before the alternator stops working. At Thermo King they only tested it after it had been running for a few minutes.

Two different drivers at my company have had to have the alternator on their APU replaced or rewired.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Cage one of the mechanics up, after you get to your shop, and they announce it's fixed.

Ask if they have put in line breakers on it. That would explain your problem. And prevent future issues.

Why they would do this is beyond me. But, I've seen it done in several cases.

4. CommDriver

Dec 9, 2006
    I will mention it to them. I haven't heard of that either.

When I was posting this, the low battery alarm came on and I had to turn the engine on.

5. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    Are the connections clean and tight on the batteries? Something to check I guess.

6. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Just because the truck has 84,000 miles doesn't mean the batteries are good. Invertors are hard on batteries. I've bought new batteries that were defective.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. CommDriver

Dec 9, 2006
    All the terminals are clean and tight. I'm hoping it is a battery, though, they still look new.

After further reading, it turns out the alternators on these APU's are a big problem for people like me who run a lot of electronics. Thermo King doesn't make a high enough amperage alternator to handle it. The one they install is only 65 amps.

So hopefully it is a battery, but from what I'm reading, I'm going to have problems with the alternator sooner or later. I read in another forum where a driver rigged a higher amp alternator on his, but I don't know if I could convince my company to go for that.

8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    what k9ind of truck and what company zero? I might know if you can do it.

9. CommDriver

Dec 9, 2006
    It's in the shop now. Maintenance said they would check it all out and see if they could find the problem. I didn't even bring up the subject of a larger alternator. I'll see what they can do first.

The truck is an 09' Frgtlnr Columbia. Thermo King only makes a 65 amp alternator though there is rumored to be an 85amp. The Delco Remy is 160 amps! That's definitely what I would like to have. If I continue to have problems, that's what I'm going to push for. I'll send you a PM as to what company it is.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  10. Badcable

Badcable Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Outside Chicago, IL
    I don't know how exactly APU's work, but I am an ex ASE Master tech for gasoline engines, and most alternators pump ATLEAST 100 amp for a 4 cylinder, charging a single 445CCA battery and maybe a radio. Without knowing the specifics I'd ask the mechanic about that 130A alternator, however then again, that's double the original amperage of your other alternator, so there might be some battery issues further on down the road with that. An additional consideration is full fielding (basically having your alternator go "balls out") the alternator and burning all your batteries + additional wiring out and obviously running a huge fire risk. Maybe get a smaller TV, Smaller microwave, and try to leave the lappy plugged up in the shower stall.

ALSO- Is this a name brand inverter? Maybe something has gone haywire in the inverter?

CommDriver Thanks this.
  11. BrainHurtz

BrainHurtz Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Terre Haute, In
    Well obviously if you're using all of the 2500W from your inverter you'd need something on the order of a 200Amp alternator to keep up with your load and charge the batteries at the same time.

I don't know what all you've got on the aux circuits but if the total load on your APU is any more than about 900watts you'll be draining your batteries (have a lot of marker lamps on?).

Of course it could be as simple as you might just have a dud or two in your pack. It is ridiculously hard to find a good battery pack though, the quality control on batteries is just not a good as you would expect in this age. Even yellow top optimas don't have any better records than most OEM batteries even though you pay out the nose for them

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    CommDriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.