Are all OTR companies this wasteful with our time?

Discussion in 'Werner' started by mateynine, Aug 17, 2019.

1. mateynine

mateynine Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I've been stuck waiting on dispatch for over 3 hours now. 2 hours waiting for a load, and now I've been waiting over an hour for an empty trailer since the load they assigned is at a different location from the terminal where I just split, and they won't let me leave with just any empty sitting in the lot.

It got me thinking... are all companies this wasteful with our time?

This isn't some random occurrence. It's always been a regular thing where I'm stuck waiting for 30 minutes to several hours for no reason and I've been driving with this same company for over a year and a half.

download (14).jpg

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Sadly yes, it seems to be pretty common. OTR sucks ###, you break down what you make per hour you’re in that truck and you’re lucky to break $10 an hour to live in a truck away from intelligent civilization. OTR companies and their customers find dozens of ways to waste your time, unpaid of course...

4. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    If you wouldn't need the empty for a life load, I would just bobtail.

5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Company I am with now respects my time, it is shippers and receivers I have a problem with.

6. mateynine

mateynine Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I'll ask them, but most of the time they won't allow you to bobtail in for a load.

There are empties sitting at the terminal I'm at right now, but they won't let me leave without assigning one to me first.

I've been waiting like 2 hours now and each time I contact dispatch they tell me they're waiting on 'the planner'.

*update*
    After all this waiting they removed my load. I started my clock and was waiting on dispatch for literally nothing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    the megas do that. smaller companies can't afford to let you sit.

last company I drove for pulled me out of places numorus times if I sat too long, waiting to be loaded. . never sat more than 1hr waiting for dispatch and that was rare.

8. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Get on with an LTL company, it’s a whole different ballgame. Day shifts typically are paid hourly and linehaul is as easy as it gets if you’re a night owl

mateynine Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Northern Gas Transport might be a good choice for a new company.
    Click here > Northern Gas Transport, Inc.

mateynine Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Suck it up buttercup

x1Heavy, bryan21384 and Puppage Thank this.
  11. mateynine

mateynine Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Another update... they readded the load and told me to pick up an empty at an offsite location. So I bobtailed from the terminal 53 minutes away, spend 20 minutes in the yard looking around, and there's no empty trailer. I tell them over the qualcomm and what do they do? They tell me to pick up an empty at the terminal that I was just at and assigned a trailer to me. I wasted 2 hours of driving around bobtail for no reason.

They literally could've just assigned me an empty from this terminal at 2:15am when I started my clock, but it's 10:26am and I'm just now about to hitch up to it (from the same location I've been sitting!) so that I can finally pickup my walmart load.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.