Are APU's worth the money?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by georgio_93, Jun 9, 2009.

1. georgio_93

georgio_93 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Generally I found that they cost $7800. How much do you spend on ideling your engine and added maintenance on your truck would determine its value. What say you veterans?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Mine cost $9600 5 years ago. I've had one since 1986. As more jurisdictions have anti-idling laws the cost of fines for idling an engine must be figured into the cost of operating a main engine. Also jumps after you run the batteries down using fridge, computer, cell phone charger, etc.

Being warm in the winter and cool in the summer priceless.

Brickman Thanks this.
  4. Crotts Trucking

Crotts Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Duncan, AZ
    I never owned one, but wish I had one. I was O/O, and was careful of my Idling, but by god, i wasnt going to be cold or hot. I plan on running local O/O when I get back into it, but I will be buying an APU. Chances are I'll be home every night, but sitting and waiting to load, etc, it would come in handy.

5. BullGoose

BullGoose Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    New Effington, SD
    Wanted one for a decade and didn't even know how much till I got one. Well worth the money in fuel savings in my opinion, my idle time averages about 2% year round.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There is a certain brand that was favored by many and even sold by Thermo-King, that was made in Canada. I learned much about them, I even nicknamed them 'waste of resources' among other things. I would be careful to check the condition before cranking it up, the darned things get full of road debris in the winter on salted and sanded roadways.

The TK Tri-Pak is plumbed into the truck, it shouldn't have near the trouble that a standalone would have because it can be well sealed. No radiator and no fan.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  7. Tired old trucker

Tired old trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Salem, MO
    A good quality APU is definitely worth the money, especially when they have the features that allow the unit to start up and charge the truck batteries when you are at home, you can leave your truck frig plugged in, don't have to worry about extended stays away from the truck, as long as you leave fuel in the truck

8. deaniro123

deaniro123 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Marion, IL
    Yes they are. Do the math of what it takes to idle your engine per hour a day. The fuel savings add up quick. Not to mention the wear and tear your taking off your engine. I have a Carrier brand apu on my FreightLiner Cascadia. Provides heat and A/C of course. But charges my batteries, warms the engine block up, and provides 120 volt household outlet to run anything you like.

9. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The only thing I can add is if you are going to keep the truck your in less than a year, wait till you get a newer truck. It takes about a year for the APU to pay for itself and from what I understand its a little on the expensive side to transfer the unit.

10. Nevada_Bob

Nevada_Bob Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Mesquite, Nv.
    The APU that I have is a god send. Year round comfort and uses very little fuel.

11. TruckerLlew

TruckerLlew Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Oklahoma
    The APU that my last company had installed on my truck was a great addition.

I can't speak to the amount of money it saved my company but for my personal expenses, it saved me $110 a week in food expenses. It allowed me to run a microwave, fridge and crockpot. I went from spending $150 a week in truckstops to $40 a week at walmart. $110 a week x 52 weeks = $5270. Now add up your fuel savings per year and it more then pays for itself in less then a years time.

As to added value at time of trade off, i can't say. It depends on if the trade company and future owner is smart or stupid...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.