Are CB radios still worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Sep 15, 2019.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009

The bridge was out on the other side of the road so I tried to tell some of the mega company's before it was too late, but no luck. They all fell to the bottom and washed away down the river. After a while I started laughing about it as I would pass them going down the road.

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    If people are doing dumb #### like that I doubt #####ing to them on the cb if they have one is gonna change anything. Those are jerk moves from someone who just doesn't care.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    IMO you’re selfish.

In the dead of night west of Sault Saint Marie Ontario temps are about -20. There is a truck on the shoulder. I ask if he has help coming.

“No. The truck quit and I don’t have a cell signal”

“Give me your dispatchers number and Ill call them for you”

Couple minutes later....

“Ok driver I spoke to your dispatch they’re sending someone out”

“Thank you Driver”.

That’s just one example, not to mention the countless brake checks and other stuff out there that can cause a problem.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well I pulled a bonehead move on the cb testerday. I called out southbound dropping in ice cut, and no comebacks so I went on over the edge. As soon as I broke over I could see two trucks making a run at it, so I called out to stay in it, as I shouldn't have been there and since I dropped off real slow, I was able to stop before it narrowed so much.
    Two trucks can pass in it, but barely, and the ones coming up are going to hit it as fast as there truck will let them. It had snowed, so they couldn't afford to be backing out of it either. I ask if my radio was working and they said it was and they came back, telling me they were coming up, and assumed I heard them, since I didn't respond, seems I had my squelch turned down much too far.

rank, PE_T and Swine hauler Thank this.
  6. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I use mine daily but I’m in and out of asphalt plants and gravel pits talking to them.

Idk I never have it on 19.

It save me a few times before though when I didn’t “need” one pulling tankers though. From telling me what lane to be in because cars crashed or that one time I was dragging a 20ft hose behind me down I80 that fell out of my trailer...

PE_T, Swine hauler and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Well some one accidently ran over the open and closed sign to our fox scales, so it has been closed all summer. Coming back into town today I wass warned it was open, I was sure glad to have had a cb then, as I needed to catch up on my e-log. lol Then the suckers just waved me on through. lol

FlaSwampRat and PE_T Thank this.
  8. Sheck

Sheck Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2019
    In my opinion you should have a cb at least for the winter, I have gotten a few warnings from other drivers that have really saved my ###. honestly when the weather is sketchy I wouldn’t want to drive without one. Get a cheap one for 20 bucks on amazon

rank, MACK E-6, kemosabi49 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is a must here, it is law that pilot vehicles have to have both a cb and a vhf, working units. It should be law that trucks also have them. I met a 20 wide last night, and that means you or they have to get to a pullout before you can pass each other, so without both having working cb's, it would be a cluster, if not a wreck if one or the other doesn't.
    Case in point, later down the road when I was comng off a hill through a bunch of tight turns, I met a pilot with a 17 wide. I had just passed the 28 mile pullout, and a few miles to the next one, but we can pass each other with not too much trouble on a straight away. He said the next pilot was a mile behind me. I met him within 1/2 of a mile,coming out of a tight turn with a guard rail, and the truck was right on his tail, instead of 1/2 mile back. I had to basically emergency stop, getting stopped just feet from the guard rail in the curve, while he barely, and we are talking inches had room to get by me. Not only are they needed, they need to be used with a little sense.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.