Are Companies Really Looking for Drivers?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by hidden1, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I lived in Tennessee, one of the companies I drove for, delivered to grocery stores.
    An older guy that stocked shelves in one of them was from California. Said he lived in a dumpy house in California and sold it for around $400K. In Tennessee he bought a huge two story home in a wealthy neighborhood and some of the neighbors asked how he can afford that home with grocery store pay.
    He paid cash for the Tennessee home. Real nice guy. Said he didn't know anyone in Tennessee, just picked the state because of no personal state income taxes.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Badmon and hidden1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hidden1

hidden1 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Yep, all the reasons to move. As I've said here before, starter/fixer upper homes in really bad 'hoods start @ $300k. Gas, food, taxes, politics, congestion, idiots, etc. are all reasons to leave.
    "Magical California" which Hollywood would lead you to believe ceased to exist 30 years ago.

4. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    That is my story. I left Washington selling a million dollar home and moved to Iowa where home prices are considerably cheaper. We got a head start on retirement doing this too. We still earn a Washington salary as my wife works remotely and now I'm driving, where I don't need to earn a lot as I'm not a sole earner.

People are fleeing areas where its expensive to live.... why stay in a place that taxes you into oblivion, costs you an arm and a leg for a house, and invites rioters over to your house?

We bugged out... best move we ever made... during Covid too... nothing like moving across the country during a pandemic.

5. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Oddly enough I've thought about Iowa. With all the mayhem that's going on in the country now I wonder if the midwest would be more stable. Don't know how well I could adjust to the winters though.
    Kinda like you mentioned, at least I'll get a California pension when I bail.

6. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I am originally from Wisconsin.. it was the wife who I thought would have difficulty acclimating. We got hammered with snow, the cold hasn't really hit us here yet. Surprisingly she is loving it here.

Much slower pace.. and much nicer people. I'm an old farm kid so this is a bit of heaven. Everyone considers folks here as flyover... no one cares what goes on here... that's fine with me.

Badmon, hidden1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How long have you lived in Iowa?
    My neighbors son is there now looking at property. He doesn't want to settle in Nevada. I think he leased someones vacation home until he finds what he wants for his family.

8. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Like Captain America and Billy in Easy Rider, I'm going out looking for America.

I hope I can find it.

9. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    That is just.....
    I have no words.
    I've joked a lot about "escaping" California. I don't think it's a joke anymore.

HiramKingWilliams Thanks this.
  10. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    It's almost my 10 year anniversary escaping that hellhole for the last time.

hidden1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.