Are Penske's used Trucks any good?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by reddove, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    I agree what was said about getting a truck from a leasing company. Do not get a used Ryder truck. I drive one and the maintenance is horrible. Oil changed every 45k or so. There maintenance program is not good. Always have to fight to get truck fixed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    If you buy from Ryder or Penske, they can pull all the maintence records since they were new. Also as a former Ryder employee I would recommend that you get a unit that as leased vs one that was a rental, and try to do a little research on what customer had the truck. I have found a lot of customer that lease these truck do so for a reason, some of them have excellent drivers, and some have guys that shouldn't be driving a truck.

TruckinJay Thanks this.
  4. turbo64

turbo64 Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2014
    If you have good credit, I would put 15 k down and get a truck in good shape and make sure it has new tires not recaps cause you will be going down the road everything good and kapow tire blows taking with it mudflap.

5. reddove

reddove Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    I'm planning on getting a decent truck for under $45,000 Ideally. I was going to go to Arrow used truck sales this weekend to see what they had, but I have to play Pipe ranger this Saturday in Houston. I want I decent starter truck I can pay off quickly, save the money towards a better truck later on when I have more experience (and money) so I can work on my own authority.

6. reddove

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    There was a judgement on my credit report for $815 which I settled. Other than that, I have nothing esle on my credit. Because of that no one will finance me. I'm currently trying to get that taken off my report. Through a friend I got financing through LoneStar trucking. I have to put 5,000 down. The truck is currently in Iowa and it'll be a week before it's ready. It's a 2010 ProStar or the Pete 397. I don't have to put anything down yet. Last weekend I went to arrow trucking to look at the trucks so I'll know what I want. My 3 starter truck Choices are the Cascadia, Pete 397, and the ProStar. My "dream truck" is the Coranado, but that's in the future. Here are the specs on the the two trucks. ProStar 2010: Cummins ISX 435HP 10 speed 3:55 Rear Ratio. Pete 397 2011: Cummins ISX 450HP 3:55 Rear Ratio 13 speed. Now I never drove a 13 speed so it just an extra switch? Which truck would be the better option? Any way, I'll find out once I get there

7. reddove

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    It looks like I'm getting a ProStar. I'm going to pick up the truck next week Monday. I'll keep posted on how it goes.

123456 Thanks this.
  8. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    who you planning to haul for?

9. reddove

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    08/18/14- I got the ProStar. I'm currently in the shop getting the truck DOTed, Dyno check, and I'm getting the five mintue Idle disconnected. I noticed that the steering feels a bit loose and clunky. I'm going to get that checked out as well. I'll wait until the tests are done before I'll do more than that. I'm going to learn how to shift all over again because I barely have to touch the brake or the clutch pedals to in-gauge them. Unlike that worn out Mack I had which I had to press the clutch all the way to the floor. More paperwork stuff tomorrow.

10. reddove

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    It looks like Schneider but I'm having a delay with Texas DOT changing my med card certificate from excepted interstate to non-excepted interstate. Sigh. If this is too much of a hassle (I doubt it'll get done by Thursday) I'll go with ATS

ew2108 Thanks this.
  11. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    ALL THIS new medical card stuff is crazy

jbatmick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.