Are Penske's used Trucks any good?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by reddove, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

here is something to think about when buying a used truck,,Why do the big fleets sell off their trucks or find some sucker to do a lease purchase when the truck gets close to 500,000 miles?
    The biggest reason is that they have done minimum preventive maintenance on the trucks and they will soon need a lot of money in repairs to keep them going.. You can buy a new truck and run it for about 400,000 to 500,000 miles and never change the oil or lube it but ,,most companies will go 50,000 miles or more of they do oil changes,,their whole method of operations is to spend no more money than necessary then sell it off before maintenance cost start to rise,,
    A few years back 2 friends bought used Werner trucks,,with in 6 months both had to go into the engines for major internal work,,Lease companies do the same,,It is also a crap shoot to buy a repo truck,,if the owner had it repo'ed most likely he did not have the money to do proper preventive maintenance, Some thing else to consider, since DPF and DEF engines have come out there have been a lot of LIMONS on the used truck market,,I know of 2 case where one cattle hauler and a Flatbed hauler on the eat and west coat bought 08 Petes with CAT engines,,in the first year both trucks went to the shop over 40 times for engine problems,,sure they were under warranty but they still had to make payments on trucks that were down almost as much as they were on the road,,Both sold off the trucks with under 200,000 miles on them..

Russian Rabbit, KB3MMX and Mooose Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Landscape pro

Landscape pro Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I just bought a Penske truck last Saturday in Houston and it was giving me problems and running into limp mode before I made it to Dallas now it's sitting at the shop and Arlington trying to figure out why the check engine light an exhaust system lights are on I wouldn't recommend buying from them at the moment

PE_T and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. yabello_logistics

yabello_logistics Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2019
    I was looking at 2015 freighliner truck from penske. Did you fixed the truck

5. LOUatAEJ

LOUatAEJ Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2020

6. LOUatAEJ

LOUatAEJ Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2020
    I recently purchased a 26ft box truck from Penske that they claim was "Premium". I didnt have this truck more than a week when the check engine light came on and the front head light was out. The head light was an electrical issue because the bulb was good. When I opened up the headlight area I could smell something burning and tell it had been rigged and was not the original set up. Because I was within my 15 days they had me come in and supposedly fixed everything. Few weeks later check engine light is on again and head light out again. Same electrical issue, except this time no one at penske will even respond to my emails or return my calls about the issues. Even the financing was an issue. I was told that taxes were included in the financing but when I went to the DMV to get it plated they had not sent a check for the entire amount, was short over $900. Person I spoke to tried to blame me for it then again dark silence, no response. I have sent 6 emails and made multiple calls now to multiple people with no response. The customer service is horrible and it is clear that the ignoring is intentional. I'm a new business trying to get off the ground and provide for my family, Penske doesn't care about the people. I paid over 36k and now I am stuck with a lemon. I would strongly urge people to avoid this company. Truck number 669929.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Penske customer here, we started our venture into leasing with a number of tractors and (3) used box trucks. After a few years of constant problems with 2013 freightliners we traded in for new trucks at only a little bit more...much better.

I wouldn't want to be the guy purchasing our trade backs but I feel the problem is more the early DAF emissions system. Our owner operators are buying 2012 and newer replacements for the same reason, avoiding the 07 thru 11 trucks.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.