Are People Just Insane These Days?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by TankermanRich, Jul 30, 2014.

1. TankermanRich

TankermanRich Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Canada
    I did just that a few weeks ago. Stuck doing 4 city loads on a Friday afternoon, which is more than enough to put me in a mood. Had to block traffic on a busy street while waiting for cars to vacate the pumps area. After 10 minutes, one car was still parked against a fence (where I needed to be) so I walked into the gas station and asked the attendant if it was her car. Nope. Side windows were tinted, so I couldn't see anyone inside. I wasn't close enough to see in the front window.

Decided to just pull onto the lot to get off the street, then deal with the parked car later. (most retailer managers just tell us to block a vehicle in if they are parked in the off-load area, or even call for a tow-truck if unattended. I won't usually do that, as it's a good way of starting a war) .

I pretty much had to pull up to his front end so my pup would clear the street. As I nose closer, I see someone in the driver's seat playing on his phone. He then looks up at my truck, starts his car and begins backing up, all the while giving me the finger and mouthing f***you at me. 99% of the time people will see what you are trying to do, and will just back up graciously, sometimes even giving a smile and a wave.

Sooo....that was the cherry on top of a bad day. I parked and stormed over to his car, and we were nose to nose trading profanity. Apparently, he thought I was just using the truck to 'bully' him and push him out of the way. Yeah right...not like I was trying to make a delivery.:biggrin_25510:

He drove off after a couple of minutes, and a few minutes after that someone comes walking down the back alley up to my truck. He starts yelling at me and picks up a cinder block and starts running towards me. I threatened to call the police and then he took off. By their appearance, demeanor, and dress, I'm pretty sure both of these punks were in a local gang.

This was a good learning experience. I should have just let him have his little tantrum, instead of confronting him. In retrospect, I'm extremely fortunate that these thugs didn't return with a half dozen of their buddies and exact some revenge on my skull.

Now, before I lose my cool, I remind myself that the other person could be a psychopath fresh out of prison for beating the hell out of someone. It's just not worth the stress...

Tam_Tam Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or

If you want to live and make it home without injuries well one learns really quick. Grave yard full of those who didn't learn problem is trying to talk to them is a little too late now.

4. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Currently on a run through Ontario Canada right now. I seriously want to kill someone! F'n complete garbage here! If I had a gun, I would have used it and emptied a number of mags doing it. Not kidding!

bergy Thanks this.
  5. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Hey pcfreak - I'm from Canada, but have not done any driving to speak of up there for a long time. Used to be that the idiot factor went sky high anywhere east of Manitoba. Still the case? Or pretty much the same everywhere?

6. pcfreak

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Ontario is complete ######! I'm about to send a message to my dispatch refusing any more Ontario loads. I'm a pretty patient guy, but today would have been a nasty day for anyone who pushed my button the wrong way. Had a POS cut in front of me and I had to hit the shoulder to avoid him. My hammer would have went through his windshield if I didn't want to keep it. ##***rs seem to think its fine to cut in front a big truck. I absolutely hate that F'n province and wish someone would bomb that garbage dump.

bergy Thanks this.
  7. pcfreak

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I had to stop for an hour to cool down because I'm so pissed right now. Long weekend comes up and the IQ drops to negative territory.

8. drummer

drummer Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2014
    We employ only the best drivers here in Ontario, lol. Been over the skyway bridge in Hamilton lately?

slowjoe61 Thanks this.
  9. pcfreak

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry you're having a hard time finding any. :biggrin_2559:

I have not been over that bridge, that I know of.

I was mainly referring to the four wheelers. The truck drivers are half arse decent, but I see crap from a lot of them, and most are the fake Canadians.

In the USA, it's the reverse. Would rather shut down then hire an American "professional". I see so much garbage that I can see why the fmcsa is hammering on them.

10. drummer

drummer Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2014
  11. pcfreak

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey hey!!! I was labeled as gifted when I was in school. Unfortunately, that seems to be the common perception of truckers these days. I do it because I love being in control of such a large road machine with a great amount of responsibility thrown in. I wish I had the support I needed to go for university and such, but some things aren't in the cards.

However, I don't regret it. Who knows how things would have wound up, otherwise.

Tam_Tam Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.