Are Police Scanners Illegal in a CMV?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by et1231, Jun 16, 2007.

1. et1231

et1231 Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I hope I am posting this in the right room. If so sorry. My questions is. Are police scanners illegal in a CMV?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

i wouldnt think so....but with most departments goin to digital communications, the scanner prices have skyroketed

4. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Grumppy and volvodriver01 Thank this.
  5. Trooper One

Trooper One <strong>"Full Grown"</strong>

Feb 13, 2007
    NW, Connecticut
    Connecticut- no scanner laws, no radar detector law

Federal Regs- radar detectors are illegal, no Federal law on scanners being illegal.

6. MICHAELJAYCLARK

MICHAELJAYCLARK Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    hypocritical.

the police are allowed to use cell phone conversations as evidence against you for any reason because when you transmit on airwaves it has been determined that you cannot expect privacy.

so if we listen to signals sent into the air it is illegal.

see the problem there?

7. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Get your HAM License..........:tearyeyed:

Jethro_G Thanks this.
  8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Not saying it's illegal, or legal. But...

I've never had a problem with any state. Of course, I don't go around wearing a sign or waving a flag either. I've done all the lower 48 and parts of Canada.

My scanner as always been mounted in full view, for all to see. Unless I was in my car, then it's mounted in a console cubby hole.

Used mobile scanner for over 20 years... I don't have a license of any kind. Unless you count my expired "general" I had when working as a professional broadcaster....long time ago.

9. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    Nothing I can add to this post that hasn't been said already. But a word of warning. There is always a risk with having a scanner in a vehicle with/without a HAM radio license.

Sadly, innocent until proven guilty isn't normally the case in these matters. A cop can sieze your scanner, and write you a ticket even if you have a HAM license. It will become your responsility to know your rights and to fight the ticket, which would require time you probably don't have. The other part of this is most States have different rules regarding scanners. Some allow, some don't, some do with restrictions and exemptions, again it will be your responsibility to know the law in the state you're in.

10. Slow_Starter

Slow_Starter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Avon, Massachusetts
    Grumppy Thanks this.
  11. snowballer

snowballer Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Milton Freewater, oregon
    I was driving accross country, and so far Indiana is the only trouble state I had run into...I was written up for a Radar Detector to which was not plugged in also power cord was in my personal vehicle...I take my posessions to prevent theft out of my personal vehicle when working...I also was written for having a POLICE scanner, after officer NOTED NO police frequencies were inputed I use this for local weather Noaa weather, news, Cb...The officer even went through all functions no police frequencies found but said illegal to have a police scanner...I beleive we the people need to rid the name of police scanner and call it a safety public information scanner! It does not transmitt only receives, and laws contradict with FCC rules! Fcc only finds illegal when transmission can be done! State to state varies with law! If electronics are illegal to which transmitt as per Fcc then half the qualcomm communication hubs would be illegal on a tractor! Many of these transmitt a Ka wave as they travel.........radioreferrence has been the most conclusive with information as well as great products!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.