Are rates cheap ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Veteran driver, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    I was offered an OTR Job with a smal Carrier. The pay is percentage based. The first thing he said on the phone is that the rates were bad right now.

Is that true?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Yes, it’s true. Where do you live? That makes a difference too.

Get paid by the mile with a guaranteed amount of miles per week and then mileage over that. Let it be his problem building the revenue. Some people are better then others at building revenue so your putting your livlihood in his hands. Kinda risky to trust a stranger that much. Especially when there is 100 other companies to choose from depending on where you live.

4. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA

10-4 thanks for the info, Midwest

5. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    rates in the Midwest still are good , texas is way off there's a few decent loads coming out of Laredo but $2 is a good load , dallas and houston hard to get 2 , southeast isn't much better .....northeast is always bad but haven't really dropped like the south. .... still think your a lot better on % than by mile especially if you dispatch yourself. once you learn the ropes and have a few regular agents. if they are dispatching you as long as you can see the load tenders so they don't cheat you . its not hard everything is by email now so they can for ward them to you and it has all the pickup info on them so they may already do that .if its a,smaller company it may be a combination dispatch which isn't too bad because they have agents that they have a relationships with ...... or you could go get your own authority and work off the load boards and be in the same boat as some of these guys got themselves into when the only thing you can do is work off the spot market rates fall drastically and fall first there

Lepton1 and Veteran driver Thank this.
  6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Rates are hit or miss , mostly miss . Still some ok lanes out there but them deadhead miles will get you .

Veteran driver Thanks this.
  7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Here my last 4 loads I had to argue with brokers for Cuz it’s cheap cheap

Mn to Laredo Texas 2860
    Laredo Texas to Rockford il 2800
    Rockford to Rochester mn 600$
    Albert lea to Sacramento 4000

All those were between 1700 and 3500
    I had to negotiate to get the rates I did besides the 600$ one I took cuz it was on the way to Albert lea 280 miles or so. Same day drop.
    To cover a tank of fuel
    Soooo whole trip with all my other loads I took the last 3 weeks I been on the road. I’m at an average of 1.80$

Sooooo yeah

Lepton1, Veteran driver and mladen86 Thank this.
  8. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Winter rates always stink, when spring comes and rates pick up a bit you will be seeing more money for your troubles.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    What kind of trailer will you be pulling? Reefer averages more than dry van and flatbed averages more than reefer. That being said a dry van company with good contacts and knowledge can do very well and be much better than average.

10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    when you get right down to it to me if you figure out everything involved in those 3 groups and I have done all 3 they end up paying the same .

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.