Are There True Independent Truckers Anymore?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Iwanttobeatrucker, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Iwanttobeatrucker

Iwanttobeatrucker Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    OK, I no idea on this so I am asking to find out. Is there such a thing as an Independent Trucker? Meaning, are there truckers out there that dont work for any ONE company? Are there brokers out there that truckers can use to locate loads? If so, what are the advantages to this VS being an O/O that works for company X. :biggrin_2554:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rikdev50s

rikdev50s Medium Load Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Greer, SC
    YES! They are out here working hard every day and night. I'm a co. driver, but do know of a few who are doing well. It gets harder every time fuel goes up and freight rates stay the same, or brokers don't pass the fuel surcharges along to the O/O's.

4. BigDogMarty57

BigDogMarty57 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Newark, De
    Yes, there are Independent Truckers out here! Good question. Someone who has their own operating authority, brokers their own loads and does all the little things like taxes, fuel/road mileage reporting, IFTA and insurance, collections of outstanding billings and all the rest.
    A driver leased to a company is just that, runnning under their authority, IFTA and hauling freight for their customers, usually for a flat rate per mile and fuel surcharge, if they can get it.
    If you are interested in being an Independent, I would suggest that you learn the business as well as you can. Pick drivers brains for everything you can, and start building a list of brokers, agents and anyone whose help you may need to accomplish your goals. Just starting out, I would say wait for a couple of years before you do anything. It's much cheaper for you to learn at someone elses expense, why wreck your own truck when you can wreck some company's.

5. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    Going totaly independant isn't for the squeemish.. It takes a lot of time and effort to get established and on top of that you have ALL the responcibility.. ALL the paperwork, taxes, insurance, billing, ect. to do on top of driving. In fact driving the truck will be the easiest part of the job!

I keep getting bothered by my buddy, he is independant.. He is always trying to get me to do it too.. I realy don't want to, as I am pretty content where I am.. leased to a decent company..

True I don't get 100% of the freight..I get 75%.. good enough for me lol!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.