Are we crazy? Need advice about going back to OTR and a good company

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by His_Navigator, Jan 16, 2015.

1. His_Navigator

His_Navigator Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Hello,
    Almost 30-years ago, my husband and I used to run OTR 48-states team. We did this for about 2 1/2 years, then I decided I wanted to come home and start a family.

He got on with Averitt Express in 1990 and has been running shuttle for them for 25-years straight. He is within the top 5 on the seniority board, topped out on pay, runs 2,500 miles/week, home every day and off every weekend. They have excellent medical benefits which are really reasonable He has no accidents or driving tickets. Overall great experience with Averitt.

Well, kids are grown now and we are thinking about going back out on the road. I know a lot has changed in 30-years, but I still think we would like it again. We are only 50 so we have a few years left to run.

My question is, are we crazy for giving up his job with Averitt to go back out on the road?

Also, if we do go back out, what are some good OTR companies for his experience? I know I would have to go through CDL training again. Ideally, it would be nice if I could go to some school and the company would allow him to teach me. He taught me the first time and I did fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. His_Navigator

His_Navigator Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Hello,
    I posted this in another forum, but this looks like it is a more appropriate forum for my question.

Almost 30-years ago, my husband and I used to run OTR 48-states team. We did this for about 2 1/2 years, then I decided I wanted to come home and start a family.

He got on with Averitt Express in 1990 and has been running shuttle for them for 25-years straight. He is within the top 5 on the seniority board, topped out on pay, runs 2,500 miles/week, home every day and off every weekend. They have excellent medical benefits which are really reasonable He has no accidents or driving tickets. Overall great experience with Averitt and I would highly recommend them, at least for shuttle drivers.

Well, kids are grown now and we are thinking about going back out on the road. I know a lot has changed in 30-years, but I still think we would like it again. We are only 50 so we have a few years left to run.

My question is, are we crazy for giving up his job with Averitt to go back out on the road?

Also, if we do go back out, what are some good OTR companies for his experience? I know I would have to go through CDL training again. Ideally, it would be nice if I could go to some school and the company would allow him to teach me. He taught me the first time and I did fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

halfassdriver and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. lasvegasmover

lasvegasmover Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2014
    las vegas nv
    25 yrs with the same co home everyday and weekends good medical sounds like my dream job

5. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

No team jobs at Averitt?
    All of those years he has put in with them it would be a shame to walk away.
    I'm sure he is making a good living there topped out on pay.

Heck,stay home with the grand kids and enjoy life! Much better than running all over the country.
    Let him retire there.

If you are dead set on team running I would look into flatbed,heavy haul or over sized..That is where the money is.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  6. skyviper73

skyviper73 Heavy Load Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    Sounds like he should stay where he is for another 12 years, save money, then retire, get your own truck, and drive part time through your retirement years.

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi His_Navigator, welcome aboard. I strongly urge you to reconsider. I think your memories of long ago will quickly vanish in today's OTR trucking world. I can understand that your husband may be getting burnt out, but that is nothing compared to the horrors out there now. HOS, parking nightmares, carriers that couldn't care less about you, shoddy health plans that might not even be included anymore (benefits offered, not included) theft, inattentive drivers on cell phones, (there's a department here called "trucking accidents" that will make you throw up). I just don't think it's a good idea.

Numb, Milkman719, rocknroll81 and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    I over heard some drivers talking about teaming with quest. They say just about everyone is happy there. Worth a look.

9. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

[QUOTE="semi" retired;4415312]Hi His_Navigator, welcome aboard. I strongly urge you to reconsider. I think your memories of long ago will quickly vanish in today's OTR trucking world. I can understand that your husband may be getting burnt out, but that is nothing compared to the horrors out there now. HOS, parking nightmares, carriers that couldn't care less about you, shoddy health plans that might not even be included anymore (benefits offered, not included) theft, inattentive drivers on cell phones, (there's a department here called "trucking accidents" that will make you throw up). I just don't think it's a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Well said! I agree 100%

OTR is so different than it was back then. Just the parking and idiot drivers on cell phones drive me crazy.
    You about have to find parking by dark or forget it! All these solar powered steering wheel holders!

20 years ago was a completely different scenario,it was actually fun back then!

jugs and "semi" retired Thank this.
  10. TNMT

TNMT Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Front of keyboard
    Crazy. LOL no offense intended.

11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    No, you all are not crazy. If, in your current situation, you'd be happier running team and seeing some country, go for it! If I could get my wife to team with me, I think I'd get into expediting. Running a straight truck with a nice big custom sleeper would be a good way to go.

Tennesseahawk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.