Are you embarassed to be a truck driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by duckdiver, May 10, 2012.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    why would anyone be embarassed to be a truck driver? most people cant keep the Prius's in there lanes never mind a truck, most people whine when they have to work more then 40hours a week, never mind 70-100hrs. Most people wouldnt take a job that requires working more then 5 days a week, vs. 2-8 WEEKS straight on the road. Most people are stupid and spent $50,000-$500,000 on college and years of their life studying only to have to work their butts off getting and keeping a job that pays $35,000-$60,000/yr when we got to school for $2000-$10,000 and in 4-8 weeks and sit on our butts cruiseing down the road 50%-95% of the time.....if anything THEY should be embarassed for working so hard for a living :biggrin_2559:

American Trucker

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I cant ever remember being embarrassed when I was a truck driver.
    The reason is that I didn't really care to much about peoples perceptions.
    The truth however is that people don't hold truckers in the highest esteem.
    It is not seen as a career one should aim for in a lot of peoples minds.
    Like it or not that is the truth.
    People who just meet up form an initial perception based on preconceived ideas.
    Respect and admiration by the public is not a benefit of this job.
    To go on about the amount of money you can make as a justification or to point out the public's ignorance just shows a need for recognition.
    Referring to the OP I can see why one could be tempted to lie.
    When you are selling your self as a catch being a truck driver is not perceived as being way up there.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have never been ashamed to be a trucker. I would not be ashamed to do any honest job. As long as you do your best and earn a decent living for your family then I seen no reason why anyone should be ashamed or embarrassed. If I were a lawyer I might be embarrassed. I might tell everyone that I was a truck driver or work as a janitor rather than admit that I was a lawyer. :biggrin_25525:

After a couple of years truck drivers earn more than the majority of the public. It is a way for someone to earn an honest living doing something that most enjoy. Those who don't enjoy the business usually don't last long. This may be the most vital profession in the country. Without truck drivers this economy would come to a screeching halt. Stop the wheels from turning and this country would be thrust back to the dark ages in a week. Grocery shelves would be bare, there would not even be fuel for the cars. You should be proud to be a truck driver. It is the truck drivers who make this country work. We bring the food and haul the trash. Truckers bring all the materials and clothes so that we are not naked. We even haul the money around for the government and banks. Without truck drivers there would be no houses unless you cut down trees and built it with mud and your hands. Truck drivers are also vital for our national security. We haul the ordinance and supplies that keep our military vital.

I can be ashamed of some so called drivers that I see in this profession. But the majority of truck drivers are hard working, patriotic Americans who only want to earn a decent living for their families and to have the government leave them alone. Some of the most patriotic people that I have met are truck drivers.

5. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Younger generation? :biggrin_25524: Where are trying to pick up girls,the local high school?:biggrin_25521:Maybe you should try to educate our youth about the importance the entire trucking industry to this country instead of trying to get in their pants. You might want to sit in on a spelling class or two(Unfrotunatley)while you are there.But bottom line, being from southern Ca. says it all, it sounds like you are just as self serving and ignorant of the rest of the country as everyone else I have talked to from anywhere,Ca.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    WOW!!! That opens up a whole new can of worms, I assume the "tree hugging-C.A.R.B. crap is not working out quite as planned.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I hear that.It's more in how the person looks and acts as to how the public reacts to the whole trk driving thing.

8. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    30 years ago this question would never been asked.......it was a very hard work but respectable

Onetruckpony and 48Packard Thank this.
  9. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Everyone I tell is a lot more interested that I'm a trucker than any other job I had. When I told people I was a welder or in computer repair, that was usually the end of the "what we do" conversation. Now everyone wants to know what it's like. It's funny to because almost every guy always says they've always wanted to try it and they think they'd be good at it because they drove 1000 miles in a Uhaul once.

10. gettinthere

gettinthere Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2012
    The good ‘ole USA
    After 25 years in the printing industry my husband was laid off and decided he would become a truck driver. Not out of last resort, but a childhood dream. He mentioned that at one time he really wanted to be a garbage man because he wanted to be able to hang off the back of the truck.
    As a woman, I am proud of him for wanting to be able to support his family, no matter what his career is.

11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    the person with the problm is the original poster. he apparently got into trucking as a result of losing another job. he didnt really choose to do this. he feels as if he was forced.

if you dont feel good about yourself, no one else will.

and many other posters on this thread , have been put into trucking as a job of last resort. it is amazing to me the anti-trucker attitude of many of the posters.

the attitudes that many of you display toward someones with tattoos, or someone overweight tells a lot. you are doing the same thing the people who look down upon truckdrivers are doing.

you are making assumptions about people based on their job or appearance.

what the difference, many of you without a doubt hate driving a truck and look down at your fellow drivers, you see yourself as a notch or two above them, and have a couple of excuses why you are driving.

we all are on the road for different reasons.

i wonder if any of you have considered that "piss bottle" may not be the work of the slob drivers every one seems to focus on, but that it may well be the guys who hate their job, who feel they got forced into driving, and by making someone else pick up thier piss, they elevate themselves above at someone.

are these the same job haters who dont flush commodes, leave showers in a mess, piss on commode lids, complain how nasty truckstops are, and generally complain about everything truck related????

some of you hate doing this and are mad at the world, you ended up driving. you refuse to see any good in it cause you to busy hating on others.

the problem really is today is that any tom, dick or harry can pay to go to school and get out on the roads, it wasnt always like that.

some of you have never had a good trucking job, you think all trucking is like the mega-carrier training type trucking. 2 guys rammed in a truck, neither with much experience, and it taints your point of view.

for 33 years now, i have ridden the roads, seen many places , woke up to sunrises in the desert, saw sunsets in applachians, swam in the pacific off us 101, swam in gulf at gulfport, ate lobster in maine , and crawfish in louisiana. i have enjoyed the places i have been and the people i have met. i would do it all over again.

i have raised 5 kids 33, 29, 27, 18 and 15. bought a house and 90 acres. own my own trk and trl. i have had a good run and i am happy.

i was raised up to not put down anyone , for how they looked, how they dressed, what they had , or what kind of house they lived in, what their circumstance in life was, or how far they went in school, to do so would merit a severe behind-whippin.
    basically i was taught not to judge people before i got to know them as a person.

it is very apparent that many of you dont follow that rule. you make assumptions about fellow drivers and dont even know them and dont try to know them. this is the same action you rant that the general public does to drivers in general.

me, i married a gal whose dad was a truckdriver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.