Are you seeing pay go up?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by camiladomonoske, Jul 1, 2021.

1. camiladomonoske

camiladomonoske Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2021
    Hi - full disclosure I'm a reporter, but I won't quote anything posted here without permission. Just curious what you're seeing.

I've noticed some big carriers announcing raises for drivers lately ... as one of my colleagues wrote a few months ago, that seems like a long-overdue response to the "driver shortage" aka driver retention problem!

But I don't want to talk about a few places raising pay if the general trend is that most drivers aren't seeing raises. So I'm curious what you're seeing at your job or in your market, is this a widespread phenomenon? Is pay actually going up?

(If you want to talk on the record, message me and I will share my contact information so we can chat directly!)

Camila Domonoske
    National Public Radio

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Love NPR, first and foremost.
    Though, frankly, that won’t gain me any friends here

In the last ten years? Yeah, I’ve seen wages go up quite a bit for certain avenues of trucking, I’ve also seen a lot of them stagnate.

You’re asking a very complex question, about a very complex industry.

The long answer is; yes- while the cost of living has been raising, overall, I would say trucking and truck drivers are paying/making more overall. BUT, when compared to other skilled professions, lagging behind.
    We’re undervalued, pressed through the mesh of unrestrained capitalism too many times, subject to the will of “the lowest bidder” too often.
    Many of us are worth a lot more than we’re paid, but we accept the job, and it’s many pro’s and con’s because we love our jobs, or just can’t or are not willing to find better.

the short answer is- yeah, kinda, I guess some of us made more last year when everyone was dying lol.

camiladomonoske, bzinger and Doealex Thank this.
  4. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Adjusted for inflation, wages are stagnant.

Tb0n3, camiladomonoske, stwik and 3 others Thank this.
  5. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Different segments of the industry are increasing pay faster than others.
    Gas haulers have seen a big jump in pay...I know the company I drive for has boosted pay 40% since March 2021, and we're hearing of one more bump before the end of the year.
    I know the companies in my area have all jumped substantially...
    Company A went from 20 an hour to 25 an hour
    Company B went from 23 to 28.50
    Company C went from 1100/week to 1500/week
    Company D offered a weekly salary of 1575 to new hires....
    I cannot speak of any other segments, as I'm not part of them.

camiladomonoske and Doealex Thank this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Trucker pay doesn’t go up.
    First they cut it due to economic downturn.
    Then they give it back and call it a raise.
    I make the same thing I did back 20 years ago.

7. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Real short and sweet.
    Companies have raises but drivers were already underpaid and that has not changed.
    You can’t really call that a “raise” unless you mean “a little less underpaid now”

camiladomonoske Thanks this.
  8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Thanks for the inquiry

But, start with your own company's article and read the government research:
    Is There Really A Truck Driver Shortage?

There is not now, nor ever has been, a truck driver shortage.

Do the research and you will find there are just large companies fishing for government bailouts, grants, and training subsidies.

I am a safe truck driver of over 10 years now, no tickets, no accidents, no service failures, no criminal history, and I just recently changed jobs. Of the 50-60 applications I put out 4 months ago about 4 - 6 returned contact of any kind! No shortage. No desperation of any kind!

Wages have been steadily improving since the 2008 recession, primarily due to repercussions of the ELD mandate, but are still at what some economists that study the industry call historical lows.

9. TruthaMucka

TruthaMucka Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Fort St John, BC Canada
    Adjusted for inflation, they are declining, rapidly.

camiladomonoske Thanks this.
  10. TruthaMucka

TruthaMucka Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Fort St John, BC Canada
    That's not the case where I am and has never been. You cannot find drivers, let alone good drivers.

Wages are increasing? I don't know what you're smoking

11. camiladomonoske

camiladomonoske Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2021
    This is really interesting, thank you -- my editor is actually interested in focusing on fuel haulers particularly, so hearing about your experience is very useful.

If you'd have any interest in an interview, let me know!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.