"Are you sure you wanna do this?", said everyone. 6 month update.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ultra Wagon, Feb 9, 2018.

1. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Glad so hear someone else has done the same crazy arse thing I did. Got my CDL from a 5 day (1hr each) truck school, threaten my employer at the time to straighten up which they did for about 8-9 months in which then I set forward with plans to truck.

Your exactly right about the stress part, holy shat. I'm in the same boat, no 10k emergency money, it hot used when I got on the road a month behind then when I planned. But I'm still here 14 months later, been through 44 of the states.

I started with using a dispatch service to find in 3 they kind of lacked, so I started doing it myself with the wife's help back home. Around then I found the lane that works for me, usually aim for 1k a day the truck's moving, my outbound run usually no prob and return run usually a little under which averages out.

Brokers have learned my lane and are starting to call if they something.

I think things are starting to head in the correct direction. Good luck driver.

Badmon, Lepton1, ShooterK2 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ultra Wagon

Ultra Wagon Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2017
    South Fla.
    Thanks for all the responses. This is actually my 4th attempt at running a business. When I sat down and ran through why the other 3 failed, they all had one particular thing in common, they did not get 100% of my attention. Trucking will, if nothing else, demand you give it 100% of your attention. Therefore, I decided to find out if my 100% is enough.

I'm just starting to get my feet under me and if I can make another 6 months, this should be a fairly different picture. Keep on truckin.

tinytim, speedyk, Brickwall and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I'm holding out for awhile longer. I'm putting away $200 to $300 a week into savings.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    There's no such thing as a reserve to large. I was saving from Day 1 in this career to make sure I had funding available when crap went sideways...and it will, eventually, go sideways.

6. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I haven't even made up my mind if I want to actually buy a truck. I got a good gig right now, if I do but a truck ill most likely lease it on with my current carrier

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  7. Broke Down 69

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    It's a big jump and a real "Oh Jeebus" moment when the papers are signed and the keys are handed over. But when you get in your truck, yours...not one you've been assigned...it's a whole new feeling.

8. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Yeah I tried, sort of when I did a lease back in 2015. #### near lost my house

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  9. Broke Down 69

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    I'm sure you learned from that experience. And I'm just as sure, when you're ready, and the time is right, you'll jump in and be successful .

10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    That is why the OP is a ticking time bomb. If you don't have at least $10K reserves or at least a means to come up with it, one major breakdown or accident and you are done, just like that.

Even if you manage not to eventually go broke, there is a chance you'll end up with worn out equipment, no means to replace it, and nothing to show for your time behind the wheel.

Some people like living on the edge I guess, I just don't have the stomach for it anymore.

SL3406, DUNE-T, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Broke Down 69

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    I agree that the OP is climbing a pretty steep hill, but there's something to be said for the size of his nards for even trying on such a shoestring .

RERM, Badmon, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.