Article: Self driving trucks by end of 2020

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The problem with your math is each of those issues is not a separate statistic. 100% of my family in my house have 2 hands. 100% have 2 feet. 100% have 2 eyes and 100% have 2 ears. Clearly I dont have 400% of my family have all 4. The same with those statistics. All of them can exist in 1 entity.

FMCSA did not point to any of them being the cause of the accidents. Studies have shown however that cars are the cause of more than 70% of truck-car collisions, meaning that at best eliminating the driver would eliminate 13.5% causation using your cumulative causation, and closer to about 9% when you consider that multiple of those events can occur in a single crash.

Odin's Rabid Dog and magoo68 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Got to say something, all of you guys never even saw one of these trucks let alone an autonomous car. I've been to U of M's testing facility in Ann Arbor a couple times and it is amazing how much bull****** is being spread around about this and technology, it still has a long way to go and the news is just hyping all of it because they are told to do that.

The truth is the states and feds all have to get together, which they have yet to do, set up strict standards and pass laws, and the courts will be involved with litigation from the accidents as it is being involved with the two or three serious accidents with "driverless" test cars that happened in the past couple years.

NOW if anything is going to happen in this industry, it won't be everyone loses their jobs because of driverless trucks, more likely than not the dedicated boring terminal to terminal work will be covered by a driverless truck where there is predictability with traffic and weather, more or less like UPS and FedEx will use them. Outside of that, I don't see on demand trucking (which most of O/O do) will see an encroachment of driverless trucks for at least a decade or more - the more is more likely to be the case.

striker, Odin's Rabid Dog and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Have fun with that lawsuit, you can't sue track manufacturer, they will response wlthat it's software problem and they can't be repsonsires for it, andawill send you toto softwa company . Software company will tell that they can't be sued cause it was sensor fault, and will send you to sensor manufacturer, sensor manufacturer will sand you back to software cause that will find some other crap or excuse....

Or and BTW when everything will be autonomous.
    1. Buy old cop car, and black outfit
    2. Wait till night somewhere around Nevada , AZ, New Mexico.
    3. Cut that truck and make it stop.
    4 Steal all cargo you can take.
    5 PROFIT!! Buy the team truck willake it to receiver you will be way gone . And police will have #### ton of problem to find you :)

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    The greedy execs will justify paying less to have a meat in the seat because the truck will apparently do the bulk of the work itself.

6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Believe me they can get sued. If gun manufacturers can get sued for the actions of a psycho mass shooter then truck manufacturers can get sued for software/hardware issues.

striker Thanks this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I don't think the mega's will go down w/o a fight. Take away their bread and butter $$$ aka their meat grinder driving mills and all the shady doings surrounding that. They'll fight tooth and nail to keep that indentured servant gravy train going

By that rationale of thinking, we went to the moon 50 years ago. Shouldn't we have space colonies established already. LOL

magoo68 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That would be why I say everybody with their name anywjere on that truck will be sued, they won't be able to pin all the blame on the driver. They will say the manufacturer knew there was something wrong with the software, or the sensors and didn't care.
    The criminal aspect of it is something they haven't even considered yet either.

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Why don’t you wear a seatbelt?

10. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You can't sue a gun manufacturer for somebody harming you with their product because somebody else is controlling the product, same as you can't sue ford because somebody driving a ford hit you, but when the vehicle is controlling itself that shifts where the blame will go.

11. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Why is it any of your business why I don't wear a seatbelt?

striker, Bean Jr. and Gumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.