Article: Self driving trucks by end of 2020

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I saw one once, sitting at Sapp bros. in Columbus, Nebraska, at least i assume thats what it was, no way I would want to have to drive that thing anywhere with all the cameras hanging off it right in the way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Because it's tucker

Train+Derailment+Ellendate.jpg

4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Actually you can..in CT.
    Sandy Hook Families Can Sue Gun Manufacturer, Rules Connecticut Supreme Court

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Dennixx Thanks this.
  6. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    No it's not just you.
    Individuals not objects

7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Well that just changed

Lawsuit By Sandy Hook Victims Against Gun Manufacturer Allowed To Move Forward

My point is, driverless vehicles will happen. California being the first most likely to allow it. How long it will take? That’s anyone’s guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
    Reason for edit: Edited to remove political content.
  8. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Bean Jr. and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Around about 1990, right around the time the auto workers union CBA was being negotiated, the suits at a certain manufacturing plant decided to purchase welding robots to reduce the number of production weldors. The plan went ahead and they were able to eliminate 6 welding stations down to two but it turns out the robot wasn't that great at welding around corners....it would get around the corner but it off tracked and sometimes it cut the corner much like a driver driving over the sidewalk with the truck. The suits blamed the programmer and the programmer blamed the software designer and the software designer blamed the hardware. Eventually the solution was to move the displaced weldors to a newly created repair welding station to fix the robots screw ups. Soon there was two robot stations and 4 repair stations and lots of OT but the plan was a great success because look at the robots weld!

I suspect truck drivers will be replaced with tow truck and ambulance drivers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    So we have these semi selfie cars right? Tesla and Uber. Tesla has killed two and Uber one am I right? In Tesla's case, a car plowed into the side of a truck? What if a truck plows into the side of a school bus? So far I don't think even Crete or Swift or Western Express has done that.

striker, gokiddogo and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  11. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    There is more in a related article stating the southwestern routes will be affected first..this whole thing just wreaks of bs to me..drivers driving the trucks remotely from the beginning of the route ( probably by someone in the phillipines) automation takes over for the long haul portion, then the remote driver on the end of the route takes over..

https://transportationnation.com/90...ob-to-autonomous-trucks-u-s-government-warns/

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.