As a broker what makes you want to use a carrier again

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Arch Stanton, Apr 19, 2020.

1. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Fuel Surcharge.

You see it a lot more with some of the contract freight. The fuel surcharge is a variable rate per mile that's factored off of national averages, and changes periodically. So you'll get your line haul rate, of say $1.50/mi plus an FSC as of yesterday of around an additional 5 cents a mile. Back in December it was 17 cents a mile. It varies based on the cost of fuel, and the customer's

https://atlas.doe.gov/RateRoute/FuelSurcharge/2020CurrentFSCMatrix.pdf

This is the current You won't see a ton of it on the loadboards, most brokers and customers with loadboard freight preferring to issue an all-inclusive rate.

Arch Stanton, Brettj3876 and 86scotty Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I have. Sometimes I get a second one. Rarely a third. I ask them to put me on their lists. I communicate and remind but don’t bug em. Very rarely do I hear from them again.

Oh, I just thought of something that is important to add. Some of the ones I’ve worked with repeatedly have lost the account and I haven’t been able to help them anymore or find the broker that has it after. That has happened a few times.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yep yep yep. Being a little guy you gotta stand out. Our regular broker on our jersey run that's shut down until further notice doesn't even call us after the rate con is sent back. He knows any issues at all he will be 1st to know.

Service with a smile. Before this debacle we hardly even used the boards, turning down loads everyday. Our regular brokers call us 1st before they post it.

I never yell or disrespect them, they get that on a daily basis and they'll remember you the easy going guy or the guy that said something off the wall and made em laugh

Arch Stanton, brsims, alds and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    [​IMG] Like 2018 rates
    2018 rates LOL. 1st load i took when i started with the old man. 1755 on 175mi. Boy oh boy. That's what it should be going into NYC

Contract van at the carrier he was with

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Depends on the brokerage, too- I don't send out a load list. My stuff is so variable that it's hard to put together a consistent list. Meanwhile, my boss has a set of runs he does like... 50-60 of a month. He just puts it up on the board and has the same 10-15 carriers call on it, and gets squared away. Another guy here services one big account and that's where he makes his money, primarily. So he just calls his list of dudes quick and goes from there. Lots of ways to skin the cat, but it's tricky to figure the specifics of it.

alds and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Fuel surcharge is also a line item that 1099 employers use to cheat their drivers out of wages. The load pays them all in $1200 but they put a $200 FSC on it so they only share on a grand.

If you want more calls from brokers, it has nothing to do with your freight game and everything to do with your schmooze. Like that jackwad you cant stand but the ladies eat him up. Make your personality stand out to the lady behind the phone, by being INTERESTED in her day in a sea of jerks crying about rates. Bonus points if you talk bad about truck drivers. Plant your personality in her mind and your phone will ring. Start with maams, move to darlin after youve gotten her to laugh.

Everyone ive pulled for always knows im just the driver of one truck ["i dont have final say" is my escape clause for a better load while im trying to get booked actually] but i get calls to my cel instead of the company office all the time, only been women so far. And ironically its usually for a series of loads that my boss declines. There was 7 of one,15 of another and infinite of a really cheap one. I got one of those calls today during a job interview actually.

Anyhow.. Sweep them off their feet, driver.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    PPDCT, Arch Stanton and alds Thank this.
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    Thank you, the being nice and personal I have covered all the advice hear is great.
    I thought brokers would have problems with trucks being undependable or too long, too heavy and generally just being too restricted. I see drivers post they don't want to haul much weight. I do have one short coming of my own my trucks are day cabs but I'm just looking to do regional we have to plan are hotels out when we go long.

FoolsErrand and PPDCT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.