As if roads are not dangerous enough-"self-driving trucks

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Road*Runner, Jun 26, 2019.

1. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    and if the rooskies hack the trucks...lol

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Sleeping Tesla driver wonders why his car ploughed into 11 traffic cones on a motorway

A Tesla Model 3 driver reportedly fell asleep with the car's misleadingly named "Autopilot" lane-keeping feature enabled – and promptly crashed into a pile of barrels.

"This accident was my fault. I fell asleep at the wheel. I wasn't sleepy prior to falling asleep or I would have done something about that. That's actually the scary part," posted YouTuber "Richard FS", having uploaded a dashcam video from what he claimed was his own car.
    That video (you'll have to go to YouTube to watch it as he's disabled both comments and the embedding feature, and will probably delete it altogether once he realises what a colossal moron he's made himself look like) shows a car merrily ploughing into just under a dozen traffic cones on an American motorway.

"I stand by my position that yes, I failed to drive the car... but so did the computer," insisted Richard FS in his video's description, adding: "Tesla Model 3 with FSD option. Automatic Emergency Braking totally failed me on the one time I needed it most."

Not only that, his video also shows the car being driven past a flashing "change lane now" illuminated arrow next to the cones, which can be seen in the first few seconds of the video.

He continued: "If it's so conservative on what constitutes a hazard then what about those 10 barrels? Yes, they're plastic and not picked up by radar but a small child isn't either, so it's relying on those three forward facing cameras. Why didn't it detect the barrels?"

Probably, Richard, because traffic cones are not small children playing in the road – and also because the Autopilot system is designed as a driver-assistance aid, despite its idiotic and misleading name. If you fall asleep, the car isn't going to safely drive itself.

Luckily nobody was injured and the only damage was to Richard's pride (and those barrels).

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

1.) he's an idiot for admitting ANYTHING, court's gonna love that.
    2.) Autopilot is totally misleading, if the guy had "played dumb" instead of admitting fault he probably would have had a suit.
    3.) Not being able to distinguish cones and construction barrels as an issue seems like a pretty major oversight for the programmers of these systems.
    4.) The snark in that article is so thick it's raised the humidity index in the state of PA.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Anything automatic is a mess.

The last time fairly recently I forced our vehicle to stop short from 70+ to save someone's life the ABS failed to kick in but she stopped pretty short. Shop went over the brakes, found the pegs holding the rear disks over stressed. Brought out the 10 pound sledge to pound both of them out.

Rather replace a few pegs and bolts than taking someones life who should have crossed over on the overpass 100 yards away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.