Asked about a holding terminal

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Hey Guys, hope everyone's weekend is going smooth. Got a question here. I recently was scheduling a couple loads with a broker last week , and was asked if I would be interested in becoming a holding terminal for them because often customers who are relocating to other areas of the country can't always drive their vehicles on the day they are moving, and need them stored for a while. I was also told a lot of them are brought to these terminals for convience to the carrier due to certain housing restrictions and road restrictions. This isn't the only broker company that has approached me with this, but I haven't given it to much thought until I was asked again.
    Now I have a yard but it's shared with another business and it can't be secured due to the hours of operation and the need for customers to pick up and drop off U-Hauls. So in order to meet the contract requirements I have to have a secured yard that is only accessible to people from my company. According to the contract I must have 24 hour video surveilance and recording. Geez it's gonna be expensive. I also have to have additional lot insurance known as garage keepers insurance, and have to have a minimum of 4 business days available to carriers weekends optional, and the hours must be at minimum 7-8 hours open.
    One thing not listed in the contract is the daily rate per unit but I have picked up units at other lots specifically for these brokers and I know the average is around $35-45 per day. I think tow yards are a bit higher. It also states I cannot charge any admin fee or gate fee since I am not a tow or impound yard.

My question is has anyone else here done this or been approached to do this and if so how has it helped with increasing your revenue? Is it a pain in the butt or does it pay off worthy of a headache?
    I would appreciate the feedback this is something I am considering however I need to do a lot and I mean a lot of research into this investment.

Thanks Guys
    Stay Safe and Enjoy your weekend
    Ryan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Sounds similar to when I was a contract terminal operator for Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS). Your deal actually is better than the one we had with DAS, we had to respond 24/7 within 1 hour notice to meet the OTR carriers, but that wasn't bad since we were a 24/7 towing company and they allowed a $35 after hours gate fee. The troublesome part was doing a clean inspection after dark, and DAS was known for trying to pass off carrier damage onto the terminal operator.

As for video security there are many low priced options to chose from, most with remote internet viewing, garage keepers legal liability is not very expensive but be sure the underwriter knows what type of storage facility you are running as you may need warehousemans coverage instead of or in addition to garage keepers. The toughest part for you will be meeting the release hours unless you have someone nearby that can do the intake and release on your behalf since you are on the road often. If you go this route be sure they know how to properly inspect a vehicle and insist upon a terminal inspection report that will supersede the carriers vehicle inspection report.

I would also make sure you can get the final mile work, meaning the OTR carrier picks up or drops off the vehicle and you get to deliver it directly to the owner when possible, or you are the one picking it up at their home before it leaves for a long haul. We used to get paid real well for doing this with a small rollback carrier, most home owners associations and business parks don't think twice about a small tow truck type vehicle coming in where they would not allow a typical truck and trailer in.

Lastly, look over the terms and conditions carefully, see what the net days to pay are, what conditions they can refuse to pay, and make sure you are not giving up your rights as a warehouseman to file a lien on vehicles in your possession should they go bankrupt or otherwise refuse to pay. We had to do that when DAS went belly up, sucked for the vehicle owners but we got paid for our storage fees. Although I am not sure how Tennessee law looks at this situation, but where I was it was acceptable.

P.S., afterthought, not sure how small your home town is but maybe there is a one or two truck towing operation that would be willing to share the expense of the yard for secure access to storage so that they can get a spot on the police list or something like that. They could even be the ones that managed intake and release on your behalf when you are not there, or maybe a local repo agent that needs secure storage? Just some thoughts for additional revenue if you are going thru with this. Also, car dealerships sometimes need seasonal inventory storage for when the new models roll out and they still have a lot of older inventory on their lot, so maybe some local dealers would rent spaces off you as well.

Ryan S2016 and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  4. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    That's a good point Brian my broker asked me if I had a roll back to do the pick-up at the residence and have it brought to the yard. I copied all the info you wrote and am meeting with my insurance agent on Monday to discuss options. I will let ya know what happens

brian991219 Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You don't need a rollback, unless you have a lot of high end neighborhoods. We used a combination of our rollbacks and a pickup with a 1 car trailer. DAS wouldn't let us tow anything wheels on the ground which made our 2 car rollbacks with wheel lifts useless, but if we had a double in the same area we would hook the 1 car trailer behind the rollback. If it was a single in a remote place we would just use the Dodge pickup with the 1 car trailer for better fuel economy, also high end owners were usually happier to see a pickup and 1 car trailer then they were to see a rollback! Crazy right?

6. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
  7. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I wouldn't say to many high end neighborhoods but a lot of places it would be easier to pull in with a rollback then a trailer. According to the contract they want me to be able to pick up units from the origin and have them brought to my terminal as quickly as possible. I see your point about a single unit trailer, kinda wish I didn't sell my old one, but like I told him it will be a few months before I can get going with it, finding land around here for a reasonable price is tricky

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.