Asking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bud A., Sep 28, 2019.

1. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I'm happy with my current company and would like to stay here, but I've had quite a few low paying weeks in the last two months. Also, I heard a rumor that things will be drastically changing for the worse for my position at the company soon. So, I'm looking for a new gig just in case.

I have five years driving experience this month. I have a clean record.

I like tanks, but I'm pretty much over putting on a chemical suit to unload stuff, so it would need to either be 100% drop and hook if hazmat, or 100% food grade. I've never pulled a box before, but I'm willing to consider dry van or maybe reefer if the pay and benefits are really good.

Here's the "nice to have" part: I also want to avoid the east, and especially the northeast, and especially everything from DC to Boston, if I can. I know, "it's where all the people live." (That's exactly the problem, by the way.)

I live in the Denver area and want to get home every three to six weeks. I also want to go to Iowa every two or three months. Other than that, I'm generally happy to live in the truck. I'm not interested in a local gig, since being home every night would be not good, so I'm thinking LTL and linehaul is out. Regional would be OK, but getting home more than every other week might be too much.

Edit: Also, I will not tolerate a driver-facing camera. I can put up with most of the rest of the crap some companies like to do, though.

Another edit: And if you suggest your company, I'll be happy to put your name on my application if I decide to apply so you can get some bonus money.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FlaSwampRat and Bud A. Thank this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    @slim shady pulls a tank. Maybe the company hes on would suit you?

4mer trucker, Bud A. and slim shady Thank this.
  5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Don't think we are in Denver, Chem suits I rarely put on. Since you mentioned Iowa, I'd say try Quest they are in Iowa or Foodliner also in Iowa.

Texas_hwy_287, 4mer trucker and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    What about elliot tank lines

Texas_hwy_287 and Bud A. Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There are all sorts of tank gigs that don't require a suit.

We're one of them but we're local.
    Milk haulers too.
    I don't think gas and diesel haulers wear either.

8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Our midwest board is always hopping here at Indian River Transport. I've been to the Blue Bunny ice cream plant in Le Mars a couple of times. And we've got loads going to the King Sooper hq in Aurora. 50 cpm to start.

Texas_hwy_287 and Bud A. Thank this.
  9. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Thanks for the Van Kampen link, I looked at them too. I've looked at Western Distributing before. Always see their trucks running in Colorado and out west. And they have really nice trucks, but their pay is kinda low at 37cpm. That might be a little better if they pay for benefits, but still not enough take home for what I need unfortunately.

Omega1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I drove for Foodliner for three months. Pay was good, equipment maintenance was hit or miss because the shop guy was always pissed off at the terminal manager (and eventually quit). The real negatives were that I was lied to about what the job was (out two weeks instead of one on the regional) and constantly rotating shifts - driving during the day on Monday, overnight on Wednesday, back to day on Friday, hope to catch your breath on Saturday or Sunday.

Also, the terminal manager communicated through write-ups. I mean, ok, if I really f'd up, write me up or fire me. But if I didn't do something exactly the way you wanted it done because I can't read your mind, don't paper my file. He did it to everyone I talked to. Reminded me of working in a call center lol. No thanks.

I heard that terminal manager retired, and I've also heard it depended a lot on the terminal, but they didn't have many Colorado runs, at least not two years ago. Closest I ever got was an ethanol plant in Sterling.

slim shady Thanks this.
  11. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Thanks, I will check them out.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.