assist in inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sbaumann14, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Idahoaj1

Idahoaj1 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2017

On the same lines, if you lock your truck, the argument could be made that they can't enter it without a warrant, right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Idahoaj1

Idahoaj1 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Also, there is legal precedent to limit the time they can hold you there. They can't keep you for hours.

4. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I would like to be underneath the trailer watching the dot guy measure my breaks myself rather than in the can applying them. I don't have any trust for them. I've been written up many times at the same weigh station for brakes out of adjustment by 1/8th of an inch. Then when trailer goes into the shop a day or 2 later I'm told by mechanics that brake adjustments are fine and nothing is over the 2"

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    How do you plan on getting back in the truck? They have all day, so do you.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I know society has an anti-police/anti-authority mindset these days but really, give it a rest already. He's being paid to do a job. His job is to ensure you're doing your job (operating a vehicle safely and in compliance with the law). If you're doing your job properly, you should have nothing to fear. If he asks you to step on the brake pedal so he can check the brake lights, just do it and get back on the road quicker. Locking yourself in the cab and telling the cop to get a warrant is the kind of answer I'd expect from a 6 year old.

7. dedrouteCO

dedrouteCO Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Vail, CO
  8. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Let's see ... No brake lights, no marker lights , no turn signals , no head lights , no working windshield wipers , no working windshield washer , etc. No you don't "have" to help , but he does not have to stop his inspection .

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Have everything in good working order and you wouldnt have to worry about it.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. Get your inspection and get back out on the road.

11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Why would the officer try to operate any controls? Bark out left turn. When left turn does not start working ... Ticket. Right turn ...

12. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Those who are talking about obstruction charges..... highly doubtful. In order to be charged with that the officer would have to prove a crime has been committed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.