assist in inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sbaumann14, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Not sure about the US, but the province I live in(Ontario), to do a level 1 inspection, you have to have a 310T or 310S license.

Not 110% sure anymore, but I do believe a 310T(truck/coach mechanic) allows you to drive and or operate a class A licensed vehicle for road test and diagnostic purposes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    @NorthernMechanic do you know if this is the case?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly I can't be certain on that one. FWIW I've worked with several mechanics from out east who claim that to be true.

Out west our rules are completely different from Ontario. I would have to say its false here since almost every mechanic job lists a minimum of a Class 3 license as a requirement. I've never actually looked into it because I held a Class 1 license prior to becoming a mechanic.

ZVar Thanks this.
  5. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Out here in the province of Onterrible, im fairly certain to be an MTO inspector and do level 1 inspections, you e got to have your truck and coach or automotive(depending what you're inspecting of course).

As far as working in a shop, I am pretty sure that is the case. I have an automotive license but also a class A(1).

Getting back on point; you'd always want to help to the best of your knowledge and skill with an inpesection. I used to run hard and have some things in my book that weren't so black and white but I've never been ticketed for anything. Just being nice goes a long way.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yeah, please, absolutely give the trooper a hard time next time you're pulled in for inspection.

While he's busy going over your truck with a flea comb, the scalemaster will probably green light me. Later!

Also, you're concerned about your Fifth Amendment rights, but you toss your Fourth Amendment rights in the chipper when you let another trooper hop up in your truck to "step on the pedals". Oh my, this cab is a mess, look at all this stuff in plain view....in fact, I detect an odor of marijuana in this truck. Oh, here's your McDonalds receipt from breakfast. What time did you come on duty again?.......

Same supertruckers who get a ticket for "one mile an hour over the speed limit" on an interstate, because they can't holster their mouth for ten minutes.

I'm enjoying everyone's contributions to this thread!

MachoCyclone and Macneil Thank this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    There it is.

8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    coz I dont snitch....on myself or anyone else

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    So don't think of it as snitching on yourself, but rather preventing them from having the opportunity to further invade your space by keeping them out of your truck. If an officer needs to climb into your seat and operate the controls, what is in plain view that he might see as he's getting in or out or looking for the switches and knobs he needs to operate? What might he see or hear from inside the cab that may not be as evident from the cab step or from the ground outside the cab?

Not to mention, how much closer is he going to be looking the truck over since you are being uncooperative? That relatively minor item that he would've otherwise simply mentioned with a "keep an eye on it" is now going to be written up on the inspection report.

But hey, to each their own.

10. LegChops

LegChops Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2015
    NO, you dont have to assist. Look in the CFR 49. You can see that it points to an "Individual" to do an inspection, dont say anything about the driver having to assist. Look here: e-CFR Title Title 49 → Subtitle B → Chapter III → Subchapter B → Part 396 → §396.19 . I was arrested not too long ago by pleading the 5th on assisting DOT in an inspection due to i could be helping the Inspector find something incriminating against myself. The 5th amendment allows and gives each citizen the right to opt out situations such as this. You have the right not to say or do anything that may incriminate yourself. You dont have to show your license either if they dont have probable cause, same with papers too. Just cant fail to identify yourself. So give them your correct name. The 4th amendment states: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. So be sure to ask if they have probable cause first, cus they may not have. Being overweight is not probable cause nor is failure to assist DOT in an inspection. There is no law stating you have too. The DOT are to have knowledge on operation and maintenance of commercial motor carriers. I got arrested on the I71 southbound scales for no reason. Sad thing is, I had given the public servants 4 chances to look up the law and that they were about to commit treason. They went thru with it anyways. Put on the citation " refusal to submit to inspection. I didnt refuse, I told the DOT officer the keys were in the truck, he could go inspect it. He told me i had to be a part of it, I replied, Show me a law stating that i have to comply assisting DOT?. There is none.

11. LegChops

LegChops Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2015
    That would be discrimination. Get it on video. Promise that fella would lose his job if you pushed it. I am, I got arrested for this. Read my post above this one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.