ATA Looks To Lower Minimum Driver Age To 18

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RetiredUSN, Feb 20, 2015.

1. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Every generations likes to put themselves on the pedestal... "When I was...".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Excuse me for being honest there reefertank.... Where did I once say that I was better , smarter , or above any one here posting on this topic , go back and find that for me please..... all I did was make a comparison between what getting started used to be like compared to what getting started today is. There are huge differences , some things are quite a bit better , like equipment , and training , ( trucking schools were very few and far between in the 60's ) IIIRC most of the schools back then were with companies like Roadway , Red-Ball/Spector , and Pilot ( all big freight companies ) , in the 80's I think there were a few more private schools.

With the advent of all kinds of new and " better" regulations , the DE-regulation of the industry itself , trucking has gone thru many , many changes.

But the fact still remains , and the main one that will always be at the forefront of being a professional driver is the attitude one has , It defines a driver....not experience ( that is gained ) , not skills ( they are learned along the way ) ) , but the ATTITUDE...And most 18 year old's just aren't capable of making those disticntions , not all of them , but most of them. That is the point I was making.....not saying I know it all , because I don't , when I retired in 2011 I still considered myself untried , since no matter how long , or how many miles you get behind you , you never , ever , experience the same situation twice , you learn that every single , solitary safe mile is a gift from God. You never , ever get complacent , over-confident , or bored , you remain vigilant , always expecting the UN-expected while behind the wheel.....remember what I said about attitude...it will make or break you in anything , but especially in trucking , the wrong one can and will get someone killed quicker than you could ever contemplate ......think about that sir....Happy Trails......

4. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

didnt read any of the reply's.....i dont think 18 is old enough to go off to war either...or drive a truck. most 18 year olds are VERY immature. they will mature a lot faster headed off to war vs driving a truck....18 is TOO YOUNG

granted i realize a lot of you older drivers started younger than that....HOWEVER, that being said, you guys were raised different, and had more responsibilities at that age and were typically MORE responsible at that age. i am not saying that ALL 18 yo arent mature enough, but the majority arent. they have everything handed to them nowadays, and dont care about themselves, or their image . look at some of the younger drivers we have now...

5. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Only from what I am gathering up from some of you "farm kids", you people HAD responsibilities to keep the farm going. Forget to feed the animals, and they die, costing the family farm money. Forget to milk the cows and that milk goes sour, costing the family farm money. Forget or be late getting to the grain mill and you lose out on the higher prices earlier that day, costing you more than any non-farmer here can imagine.

SO if any of you "farm kids" mucked up, the family farm would be in jeopardy, in losing lots of money and maybe the farm as well. I am "somewhat sure" that dad would smack you down should you muck up enough on the farm.

Todays kids are "entitled" to everything, or they have that bred into them from the time they pop out of the womb. The ONLY responsibility of some of today's kids are, getting the latest, greatest game box, phone, whatever, and screw it how they get it.

As I have been reading many of the responses thus far, the ones that do not want to see the age drop down to 18 is out weighing the ones that want it to drop.

Only a few have said that this WILL MEAN lower wages, which I do see as happening as well.

I just hope that if this does happen (the lowering of the minimum wage) it happens in about 5 years from now, when I am laying back in my recliner watching tv, and nary a thought about trucking evermore. Which would ALSO INCLUDE, participating on ANY trucker's websites/boards.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey G, I was a city boy, but had friends that were farm kids, and the work was done before you went to play. Plus I worked on a farm for a while, and it's just a different way of life. It's like a commune, everybody has their job to do. Well, we see what's happened to the family farm. Now they've become mega farms that are mostly mechanized, so that commune thing is gone. As far as staying away from trucker sites after you are done with trucking, I love it here. You have the fun of trucking with none of the hassle. :biggrin_2559:

7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4470214]Hey G, I was a city boy, but had friends that were farm kids, and the work was done before you went to play. Plus I worked on a farm for a while, and it's just a different way of life. It's like a commune, everybody has their job to do. Well, we see what's happened to the family farm. Now they've become mega farms that are mostly mechanized, so that commune thing is gone. As far as staying away from trucker sites after you are done with trucking, I love it here. You have the fun of trucking with none of the hassle. :biggrin_2559:[/QUOTE]

And just think....the folks you get to know......especially the one like gig's......

8. SRQGhost

SRQGhost Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2014
    North Port, FL
    This is so very true.

9. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I dont really see the difference between crossing state lines, its just one of those government control deals. IMO let em cross state lines at 18 and let the employers decide to hire them or not.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Got that right, Tony. Speaking of folks, haven't heard from Big Don lately. Seems like he'd be all over a thread like this. Is he OK?

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  11. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4470214]Hey G, I was a city boy, but had friends that were farm kids, and the work was done before you went to play. Plus I worked on a farm for a while, and it's just a different way of life. It's like a commune, everybody has their job to do. Well, we see what's happened to the family farm. Now they've become mega farms that are mostly mechanized, so that commune thing is gone. As far as staying away from trucker sites after you are done with trucking, I love it here. You have the fun of trucking with none of the hassle. [/QUOTE]

YOU HAD friends that were farmers?

I had a friend that had a Beagle, her name was Trixie. She was fun to play with!

That's about the extent of my friends list.

Nah, me stay on any trucking website?

I dun't tink so.

Not only do I turn in my CDL, but also my OOIDA card, and Imma gonna rip up the business card of the Health Center I go to for my DOT physicals, then Imma gonna smoke me some "stuff" till I'm drunk with wanton desire for Jessica Simpson! :biggrin_25522:

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.