-------> ATBS accounting tax services

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by JerryD13, Aug 6, 2017.

1. JerryD13

JerryD13 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Look they charge like 80.00 per month -- they know the trucking business

AND THEY FILE YOUR TAXES FOR FREE AT THE END OF THE YEAR.

THAT IS YOUR COVERED - pay ATBS or pay someone else - same thing - I figured out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I've had an accountant do mine for the past four years. Last year it cost over $1,400
    Now I'm back to doing the accounting myself, I'll let the accountant just do the filing.

4. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    I take mine to a tax accountant once a year to do mine. she does others oop. it cost me $275.00

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    They suck big time, frign worthless.
    I've got three different people at three different HR.Block offices that know truck business taxes in an out bout an hour.
    Under 400.00.
    Funny thing those idiots at atbs always talk like no one else is capable of doing truck taxes.

brysol01 Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Unless an accountant is doing your IFTA, there is nothing special about "trucking" taxes.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    AND THEY FILE YOUR TAXES FOR FREE AT THE END OF THE YEAR.

No, they file your taxes for $960.......I have a CPA do mine for $500......
    I wouldn't have ATBS balance my checkbook

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    You better make sure they understand "meals and incidentals"......

strollinruss and brysol01 Thank this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    ME&I is not unique to the trucking industry. If you have an accountant who doesn't know what it is, you need to fire them.

redoctober83 and driverdriver Thank this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Their are 2 components to this equation which tend to get muddied. 1st is the bookkeeping, which like doing maintenance on your own truck, allows you to learn and spot problems in your own business, various costs that are out of whack. I would encourage anyone to complete the relatively simple and straightforward task of keeping totals/receipts of the 20 or so different different "depts" fuel, maintenance, insurance, per diem, depreciation etc. Monthly or weekly, quarterly whatever suits. Bookkeeping in trucking is not rocket science and is similar to many other small businesses. Books on the topic abound.
    The 2nd component is accounting, preparing the federal and state income tax filing, and at least as important adjusting your operations to take advantage of tax situations. My preference is to hire a local who is familiar with owner OP trucking and follow their advice combined with other research you do on your own.
    I have doing my own bookkeeping for 35 years, might have 30 minutes a week invested but saved myself huge dollars in tandem with the insight of an accounting professional, which costs maybe $300. Most years he has said my situation is simple enough to file my own with the many automated tax filing programs available today, saving me that fee.

11. Road Jouster

Road Jouster Light Load Member

Not using ATBS any longer. I used ATBS as a convenience when I contracted on with a company as an O/O. I've since moved my truck to another company with ATBS hounded me to continue with them.

My business structure is not unique but not really typical either, albeit simple which ATBS had difficulty grasping. I have a parent LLC (if you will) w/a DBA as an LLC specific to trucking. That said, ATBS seemed to operate with the mentality that everyone's trucking business is operated as an individual using an assumed name. For many sure, but not at applicable for my structure.

It also seemed as if ATBS went through reps like most carriers go through drivers...

48Packard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.