Atkins Diet On the Road

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by DoubleO7, Aug 26, 2015.

1. DrummingTrucker

DrummingTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The atkins diet is extremely effective. Two years ago I weighed 330lbs and was 5'10..had high blood pressure, 48 inch waist, 3x shirt..horrible. I decided one day and the encouragement from my Dr. Who gave my dot physical lol that i needed to lose weight. So I cut out all drinks, bread, extra sugars etc, and did the atkins diet. Of course I worked out etc, but I'm proud to say that two years later I'm now 168 lbs, 34 waist and a size small t shirt. I feel amazing!!! I encourage anyone to give it a try!!

Finfn1372, Radman, Final Drive and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I am coming up on 2 weeks on it. I have lost 7 lbs but didn't weigh until the middle of the first week so its probably closer to 10.

Its actually easier on the road. Last week I cooked up a package of sausage and scrambled 9 eggs. That made 4 breakfasts for my 3 night out and back run. I also made up some more cheeseburger and green bean container meals. 2 minutes in the truck stop microwave and I am ready to eat. Loves truck stop also had the Atkins meal bars 2 for $3.00. That helped with my candy bar addiction.

An added benefit is I am spending almost no money on the road. With free drinks and coffee from Loves I started the week Tuesday with a $20 in my wallet and got home Friday with $15.

I plan to stay on it until July 1 and then take a week off to carb load on a cruise ship.

audeygdad Thanks this.
  4. DrummingTrucker

DrummingTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You can mix it up carb wise. About twice a week I'll eat more carbs than I should just to confuse my body. It actually ramps your metabolism up and burns more!! And I love the atkins bars...however..they give me extreme gas Lmao. Everyone I know that eats them days same thing. Thank god it's just me in the truck lol

audeygdad Thanks this.
  5. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    image.jpeg I am still chugging away at it. Down 20 lbs since June. Here is breakfast for the week.

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Don't light a match. You could explode after eating that for a week!

7. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Actually I am much more explosive when I eat carbs. That's just breakfast. Had rotisserie chicken, green beans and home grown tomatoes for dinner. It was better than anything I saw in the truck stop.

Radman Thanks this.
  8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I was against this diet for a long time. But I've been on this for the last 6 months. The last 2 months I've cut cheat days out completely. In 2 months I've lost almost 15lbs of fat and lost a belt size. My 34" pants are loose in the waist now. I started out at 215lb and now I'm at 191lb. It has been the easiest diet I've been on since I've been on this weight loss roller coaster.

I was 5 years ago 270lb at 5'5". OTR eating no exercise. Why I came off the road. It was tough to get to 193lb with carbs. I'd get there and blow back up for the last 2 years. Now I'm hitting 191lb pretty easy. Not hungry, not craving, and I'm mostly satisfied. Before I'd have to do super long fasts to drop the weight and count calories.

I now loosely count my carbs and calories. I generally eat close to 1k more cals then my So called cut that my fitness pal says. It says I need to eat 1700cals I generally eat 2700cals or more. I do fasting also 16-20hrs then I eat. Also I hit the gym 5-6 days. Heavy weight training. I do low impact cardio walking. No running at all.

Right now I'm only 18lbs from my average Marine Corps weight of 173lb. I'm 38 and I have more muscle then when I was in 17yrs ago. I never lifted heavy in the Marines for the fear of gaining weight.

I feel even if your on the road with Fasting and this diet you'll still drop weight or control it. With low carbs you don't need strenuous activity cause of the low carb count. I like weight training cause it's just my hobby more then anything.

9. Edjahman

Edjahman Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Atkins sucks. A ketogenic WOE is sustainable for a lifetime but you have to want to do it. I've been doing it for a year and three months.

Google it.

EJM

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  10. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Wasn't sure if people are still following this thread.

I recently started trucking again and feel that I can only partly rely on Cooler foods. This is because my company doesn't want us idling and my APU is battery based IdleFree so I think a cooler would wipe out the charge on it. My truck does manage to keep the cooler going through most of one night, but if I'm somewhere for more than one night or like now doing a reset, I'll run out of power for my Coleman Cooler.

I like the idea someone else posted about adding Coconut Oil to Coffee. I may also look into Atkins brand bars. I wondered if store bought Beef Jerky is ok?

While my cooler is a limited option, maybe I could use it for short term food storage by stopping at places like Kwik Trips that have salads or meats and plan to have them for dinner or cook the meat in a truck Crock Pot.

Just some random thoughts on this and wondered if anyone else has good input on Pantry foods or meal bars. Maybe mixed nuts or trailmixes? Or if in a pinch eating out is okay if you discard the bread and potatoes / hash browns?

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  11. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD

Total Crap. Diet is far more important than exercise. Science has proven this over and over. Just because it works for "you" doesn't mean it's scientifically sound. However, the Atkins diet can work and work fast. Just watch your cholesterol. With Atkins it can sky rocket fast.

Ed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.