Attaching Motorcycle Mount Thoughts

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Big Road Skateboard, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I put together this mount with some aluminum I beam I had. I've been thinking about how to mount it and figured I'd ask for thoughts.

I took the hooks off some old strap and made these when I was home. I think this would work well with these turnbuckles, and a piece of old baler belt between the mount and deck plate.

Maybe somebody has a better idea? Also unsure if DOT would give me issues with WLL and all.

Amyway
    20230308_123057.jpg 20230308_131452.jpg 20230413_125247.jpg 20230413_125257.jpg Screenshot_20230421_165754_Samsung Internet.jpg

cke, CAXPT, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    I don't know about the straps but how are you getting the bike on and off there

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I see a lot of configurations. In the front of the truck, behind the sleeper, UNDER the truck, IDK, I don't know your situation, but trucking is trucking, biking is biking, and generally not compatible. I'd worry about theft, most trucking is 4 lane and far away from neat little 2 lanes and shouldn't you be trucking? just kidding. Personally, I'd keep my biking for home time, if any, as a break from trucking, but I don't think I'd take a motorcycle with me.

cke, CAXPT and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm going to figure something out so I can take my mountain bike.

Need pics of the finished product please.

Rookie driver 956, cke, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    I appreciate the advice, but I'm tryin to truck a little different. To be honest, trucking is a way to get me to my little adventures. My legs will take me a long ways, but sometimes I want to go further.

alds, Long FLD, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Just walk it up a ramp

8. MJM

MJM Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Cambridge, WI
    If you are going to leave the beam as pictured attached to the truck, I would cut a couple of slots just above the web of the beam and use some 1/2 plate steel so I could use the u-bolts for attaching a headache rack. Probably make some spacers for under the plate steel so you will have solid contact where the u-bolts go.

Only thing I see that's a problem is there's no rack on the bike for a cooler and fishing poles.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What about u-bolts?

Get it all centered up and drill 2 holes in the center of the beam on each end, spaced the width of the frame rail flange, then drop the u-bolts down over the rail and put the nuts and u-bolt cross strap on the bottom of the frame rail. Might need some reinforcement if you're finding the I-beam deflects too much.

cke, CAXPT, MJM and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    I was hoping to keep it easily removable. That's why I was looking at a way to strap it down. Also thought the u bolts might wear in the tires.

Now that i look at it some more, neither the front or back tire would be near the nuts while stowed. And u bolts would be super easy. That's what I'll do.

Thanks guys

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd put the nuts facing down and use u-bolts that are bent flat across the top. Be easier to push the bike over. Could even do 2 u-bolts per side, spaced to the edges of your I-beam so the bike's tires could roll between them. Then just use a square plate with 4 holes on the bottom of the truck's frame rail to keep the u-bolts straight and square.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.