Attention All Law Enforcement Personel

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by REDD, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Ca. started doing the angle position years ago, (when pulling behind a stopped violater), reason being, if a 4 wheeler rear ends the stopped patrol car, said patrol car will angle out into the travel lane instead of demolishing the original stopped vehicle and killing the driver. (Which did happen and cost the state a pretty penny in lawsuits).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    With the car angled like they do, it causes any vehicle that hit is to glance back out into the highway protecting the vehicles on the shoulder as well.

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    So it shoots out in the traffic lane and maybe causes a multiple vehicle collision ? The driver and passengers should be out of the stopped vehicle . Several years ago a retired LEO stopped behind a disabled vehicle stopped on the shoulder of I-84 in CT . He told the 2 women in the vehicle to get behind the guardrail . When he got back in his vehicle it was rearended by a semi and it burst into flames killing him . I could never understand how this could happen . It was during the day in clear weather on a pretty good upgrade .

5. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

True story,

I was heading east on I 94 in minnesota. I was doing my governed 68 mph. A car pulled in right behind me and proceeded to draft me. I s could not speed up so I slowed down to 50 mph, She stayed right there for 3 miles. I tried to do the brake check with the johnny bar and no dice. I did the shoulder trick to kick up rocks and dust but no dice again. I could not shake this little car. After about 15 miles more at 50 mph, another truck pulled out to pass, The little lady latched on to that truck and went on her marry way.

Sometimes there is just no shaking tailgaters that are drafting you. So get off your high horse.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    That happened to me when hypermilers were trying to conserve gas . I was driving about 4 a.m. with almost no other traffic . Same thing . Even if I slowed they wouldn't pass . Then another truck passed and they jumped out and hung on his bumper .

7. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Probably some genius that needed to send a text or was playing with his quacomm or some other unnecessary in cab toy!

8. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Let me explain for those of you who don't know how to break check how it works. You don't slam on your breaks. You step on them just hard enough to make the break lites come on while the jake slows you down. If that doesn't work then I jake down my speed. As low as 20 if I have to. Put my flashers on when I get to 15 under the truck speed limit. Never had to go that slow for long. By 40 most of them get it and go on.

As for cops. I dare one to hit me and then make a fuse about it. I use to be one and there first responsibility is to the safety of the public. That includes me.

As for how they park on the shoulder. Who cares, You are to move over or slow down anyway.

9. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    WTF is a break check? Why would a cop pull your fuse?

10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I got revenge on a 4 wheeler for doing this a few years back. I was hauling a container with 45,000 lbs of fireworks to a place in Kansas. It was about 4:30 am heading out I-70 and this 4-wheeler latched on to me and hung about 3 ft off my back bumper. I tried to shake them, dust them, etc. didn't work. Finally I whipped out my cellphone, dialed *CSP, and advised CSP where I was, what I was hauling, and that I was concerned about the 4-wheeler that had been taillgaiting me for the last 6 miles. Mind you, this was in the summer of '03 when the Fed's were still talking about the risk of terrorists smuggling a nuke into the country in a sea-can. Dispatch kept me on the phone telling them where I was and what was going on, since CSP has very few troopers on at that hour of the morning, they had to roll a bunch of sherriff's deputies and locals from all the farm towns along a 15 miles stretch of I-70. When we stopped, it must have looked like a serious issue to WB traffic, there were 7 sheriff's deputies and 4 locals. 4-Wheeler learned a definet lesson about not taillgating semi's that day, the one cop told me the poor guy driving, his wife and kids all almost #### bricks when the first two cops rolled up behind them with lights and sirens going, then blocked the right lane spotlighting the guy.

1nonly Thanks this.
  11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    making sure he had his daily cup of coffee? oh, you mean BRAKE check, I see, there is a difference.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.