Attention all rookies and wannabes: Local Jobs for New Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 7122894003481, Jan 14, 2012.

1. CRG

CRG Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2012
    San Antonio,Tx
    Im in this boat I just got my CDL through Stevens Transport Went oTR for a mere 3 weeks and basically quit because Im looking for something local or something regional that will keep me at home, Stevens trains well but The pay is very low during the training which is 8 weeks long on top of the 3 weeks at the school, I was running pretty much off the bat 3000 miles a week, and the $350 a week before deductions is tough to survive on if you have family, but mainly I just want to be home more hope to find something local or in Texas soon.

jaiart Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    So my first job out of school was with a local company and did not end up working out so I went otr with Pride transport for 4 weeks and found out that otr sucks as much ### as I thought it would! I went on home time and never went back haha 2 days later I got a job driving a concrete mixer for way more money. After I was laid off for the winter I found another job delivering propane.

Yep so anyone thinking that otr is the only way.... I once again have proved that a 26 year old guy with no experience can find a lot of different companies willing to take on the inexperienced and train. OTR was horrible, never home, babysitting a truck. Always tired. Drive for 11 hours and then wait at a shipper or receiver getting woken up by other truckers, dispatch, lumpers haha never again will I be doing that. Pay was less than what I get now and I also get great benefits as well as home every night with the family. When I'm off work, I am actually off work and know I won't be bothered unless I am on call but even then I know when I will be on call and that rotates between all the drivers. $18.50 an hour with overtime after 8 hours or 40 in the week. Off weekends, 8am- 5pm

4. jaiart

jaiart Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    While you're out in the region some else may be "taking" the rest of the wife. Lol JK:bootyshake::3some:

5. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA

I found out the hard way.... I was only gone for a month and she already had a dating profile. Another reason why not to go over the road if you are in a relationship or have kids. I do commend any one that can live that lifestyle and have a lady at home that will stick by your side. Plenty of guys are ready to step in and fill your shoes the second your not there. Although I am 26 and she was 21 so maybe the more mature women out there would be more dependable and trustworthy.

Just my 2 cents...

I do agree that it was nice to be able to get a break from her.... kind of glad to have someone else take her off my hands haha have fun with that one!

jaiart Thanks this.
  6. CRG

CRG Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2012
    San Antonio,Tx
    Looks like I may be starting a Belly Dump Gig or a cement truck gig,I prefer to stay in the tractor trailer realm as to not lose practice, OTR definitley not for me I have a 3 yr old and a 5 month old and wife,the pay they were offerring for that 1st yr isnt nearly enough to justify being away for so long,at Stevens youll only make about $28k the 1st yr, hell Pepso local delivery is paying $49k and your home every night, they dont even ask for experience, Im grateful to Stevens for training me to get my Cdl,but oTR is definitley not for everyone....

jaiart Thanks this.
  7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    amen to that!!

Branded One and CRG Thank this.
  8. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    This is an EXCELLENT way of looking at this whole situation.

God bless you and your family! God bless the U.S.A.!

TruckinT and CRG Thank this.
  9. Davidf777

Davidf777 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for the info!

10. ljbigtrucks

ljbigtrucks Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Lawrenceville,Ga
    You forget Southeastern Freight Lines

11. remcat

remcat Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Thank you for your post. I was starting to get really depressed looking at driver evaluations of May, Schneider, JB Hunt, etc.

I would love your advice because I am a unique case. Brace yourself: I am a 52 yr old woman who has just gotten the Class A with tank, doubles, hazmat (and passenger bus) endorsements. I'm in great shape but I am petite - 5'4' and 115 lbs. Don't know if anyone would hire me for dock work. My youngest child only 9 yrs. old, but my husband is disabled. Thankfully, he is able to hold down the fort here at home including kids and my 91 yr. old mom!

What is your advice? Part of me would love to drive otr, but my vision of it is a fantasy compared to what the reality is. I really don't want to be away from my family weeks at a time. Anyway, that's about it. Thank you for your help and the hope that there is another way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.