Attention all rookies and wannabes: Local Jobs for New Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 7122894003481, Jan 14, 2012.

1. HeBe

HeBe Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm going to be new to this industry. In your years of experience do you make a nice living with your local/regional job? I'm switching careers after having the same job for 15 years and I'm just weighing my options. I would like to be an owner operator after I learn the industry for awhile. Do you know if its true that I should go over the road now, rather than trying it later with my own business? A school counselor said I should go OTR for at least 6 months to a year first, then I can go local. I just fill that's him blowing smoke for the companies that come into their school.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Seatwarmer , I understand your frustration. But , put yourself in the place of both the companies that turned you down and their insurance carriers. They are both in business to make money and in order to do that , they must 1st be able to manage risks. Granted , I've seen AND worked with some 25 year veterans that had no business even driving a car , much less a CMV...but the companies and ins. folks can only take you at face value...to them it's way less of a risk to hire an experienced hand than it is to hire a hand without any experience...just managing the risk ..or playing the Odd's. You said your self that you failed a backing test..that was deliberately made hard , because in the "real world " that's what you'll be doing...believe it or not they may have done you a really big favor...you may not quite be ready for the challenges that a local driver faces and must have the skills to deal with on a daily basis...take some advice given in the nicest, kindest way possible...look at trying a year of OTR...get the experience that you already have had proven that you need , then try the local gig again in a year or two....

Chase05 Thanks this.
  4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    He's not really blowing smoke...some folks are able to go local right away...some are not..do your best to learn the skills that will make you a safe driver 1st and foremost...after school try the local beverage/beer companies some of the LTL companies, and some of the fuel hauling outfits local to you (just make sure you test for tanker and Haz/mat 1st). If you get your foot in the door then great , but just remember local guys MUST have the critical backing/maneuvering in tight places skill....AS far as money goes..it depends on what facet of trucking you are in...beverage guys do OK , but the really good money is the tanker/chemical/fuel hauling side..with the food service industry a close 2nd...right there with the LTL and the local P&D drivers.

HeBe and Chase05 Thank this.
  5. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    If you decide to go LTL doing P/D right out of school make sure you have complete confidence in your driving skills and your backing. The hardest docks and places to back into when i was otr are daily in P/d.

6. HeBe

HeBe Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    What is P/D?

7. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Pickup and Deliver, basicly delivering freight to many different locations on your route, then picking freight up and bringing it back to the terminal

HeBe Thanks this.
  8. Maximus777

Maximus777 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Does anyone know anything about TWT transport or Jl Williams out of Spokane?

9. newbee2bee

newbee2bee Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks, Been doing my home work and I've heard good things about SAIA

10. HappyMark

HappyMark Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Good advice - THANX!! I'll be applying to them all after today. Went to Driving School, passed written, skills and driving tests, now going to the DMV to get my CDL-A with Hazmat, Doubles/Triples and Tanker.

11. HappyMark

HappyMark Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Anyone have any insight in the Colorado Springs, CO area as far as which Companies would consider a new driver just out of CDL school?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.