Attention tri axle dump truck owners 2021 spif axle law enforcement

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by bradi, Apr 16, 2021.

1. bradi

bradi Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Kingsville, Ontario
    Seams to be a large number of older pre-2011 non-spiff tri-axle dump trucks running around Windsor fully loaded (21 tons or more). These trucks are grossly overweight since the new law on Jan 1st, 2021. I'm assuming that the new law is not being enforced in this area. Not sure why this is other than the fact that tri-axle dump truck owners are unable to retrofit their trucks due to an industry-wide shortage of critical computor parts related to the spif axle.

I would like to know if the new law is enforced in your area?
    Has anyone or do you know of anyone that has received an overweight ticket related to spif axle law?
    I'm asking because I and many others own older non-spif axle tri-axle dumps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    What’s a spif... ? Steerable lift axle...?

4. bradi

bradi Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Kingsville, Ontario
    Yes

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  5. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    I would never run a steerable lift axle. All those bs extra components to wear out or break. alignment issues and etc. i prefer to lift my straight axle when making turns. life is simple.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Onterrible seems to love those stupid lift axles and other janky looking crap.

Shawn2130 and Don379 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Nothing beats a straight tandem or tri-drive. Neat and clean!

8. bradi

bradi Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Kingsville, Ontario
    I agree completely Don, but the government has passed this law and there are no other options. We have to retrofit with the computerized steerable axle. My quote for spif steerable axle is $30,000 plus HST. My retro date was scheduled for April 2021 and I was just informed by my service provider that they are unable to honour this date due to a component shortage. Chrysler plt 3 in Windsor just announced they will continue their shut down for the same reason....Computer component shortage.

9. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    thats terrrible. pisses me off

10. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    You got any links to these computerized lift axles? Im trying to wrap my head around why an axle needs a computer??

11. bradi

bradi Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Kingsville, Ontario
    I should add that dump truck owners have had 10 years' notice of this new spif law so there is no excuse for those guys. But the guys who recently purchased older dump trucks like me are basically pucked.
    So I could run my truck and hope that I don't get caught I guess...I mean what else can I do. I should also mention that I and other non spiff axle dump truck owners have little to no control over the weight we carry, that is up to the job foreman and excavator operator. If we refuse to load at full capacity we will be told to go home.

'88K100 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.