Authority and insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I just wanted to know how long they will hold your Authority application without insurance.

I'm working on finishing up my truck so I just want to make sure in case I run into any delays.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    I don't think there is any timeframe. Authority can sit with "not authorized" status for quite some time (years).

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I think those are two different things and I may not have been clear.

I know some people shelf their Authority and go get leased onto someone else or whatever and then at another time they restart it.

But I think initially there is a time frame that if you don't show proof of Insurance your application I believe is rejected and you have to start over.

If 3 months is accurate that's great.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I thought it was less. I recall having ins in place and having to wait out a 3 week protest period. An old Archaic rule leftover from past. I also was angry that OOIDA who helped me for a $350 few didn’t mention that fact . I paid insurance for no reason. I may be wrong but it’s worth finding out about before you purchase insurance. If possible wait till after 3 weeks is up

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    All the info is available at fmcsa website you can do it all yourself and get mc# instantly for a fee ofcourse

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I think Ins has to be in place to meet the “ability “ criteria and become active then the 3 week protest period begins. It’s worth checking out. Also Stay away from OOIDA insurance. Conflict of interests when making a claim. Hard to fight against a Group you belong to and who’s job is Protecting interests of the Members.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.