auto tranny for the handi-capped

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by WallyGator, Feb 23, 2010.

1. WallyGator

WallyGator Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Clearwater,Florida
    friend had a stroke as asked me if a full auto tranny is any good? i dont know so i thought id ask the experts. all replys apperciated.just helping another driver out...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. saddlemt

saddlemt Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2009
    astoria, or
    I am re-building a 97 pete 378 dump (engine/hood caught fire) that came w/ allison hd 4560 six speed. the previos owner says all his drivers fought to drive this truck, only auto in his fleet of 29 trucks. he said he'd put any of his employees in it that had recent knee injury/surgery, etc. & one that lost his left leg in accident. this particular trany however is limited to 1450 ft lbs torque. allison dealer here can do some upgrades to raise torque cap. to 2050 ft lbs for around $6 grand. this one also has a simple electronic control pad. hope this is helpful

4. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    My Volvo has an auto trans which i love. I have had three surgeries on my left, and two surgeries on my right knee. Which doesn't include the numerous arthroscopic surgeries I have had done multiple times on both knees. Any time I would do rush hour stop-go traffic it would just absolutely kill my knees with a stick, so the auto is a blessing.

There is pretty much nothing I cant do with the auto as I could do with a manual. The braking effect with multiple downshifts in an emergency brake event is much MUCH better with the auto.

I can hold gears on a hill, I can skip gears, and start in a higher gear with the push of a button. I would definitely check out a 12sp over a 10. I do wish (at times) I had one or two more gears when the going gets tough. Not that the 10sp has holes in its gearbox range, its that I have always been lucky enough to run around with 13's so i have been spoiled that way. I would say the same thing x2 about a 9 manual.

I have only had this truck for 7 or 8 month so I cant speak about the longevity of the auto trans, it does have 550K on the clock. But, so far (knock wood) I have had no problems with it.

5. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    If he is going OTR I would suggest a truck with an Eaton Fuller Ultra Shift. It has a centrifugal clutch. No clutch pedal. If he is getting a brand new truck I would suggest the Eaton Fuller Ultra Shift Plus. You get the acceleration that you would get with a normal manual shift transmission. Real smooth shifts and real smooth take offs. If he is doing more local routes I would say to get the allision automatic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.