auto trans

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bengalman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bengalman

bengalman Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2007
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Im going to take my test dec 15th they told me I can take it in an automatic (I have to rent the truck)iv been driving a 10 speed. what do I need to know about driving an automatic before I get there. thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bobobrazil

bobobrazil Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2007
    In Front Of You
    :biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:First off, you are a real trooper to have the screen name "bengalman"! Especially since we've had questionably one so called winning season in 17 years. Must be a diehard! But to get to your question...automatics are sooo easy. First, no clutch...you already new that. No but seriously, just put it in drive or reverse and it does all the shifting for you. The only time you will have to manually shift is on a downgrade where you want the tranny to slow you down. Personally, I don't dislike or like them... it's kinda like always being in 10th gear as far as your left foot is concerned. Good Luck! Go Bengals...fat chance!

4. peashooter

peashooter Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Pacfic Northwest
    :biggrin_25511:
    Hey better to stick with what you are use to,the auto can get you in trouble on down hills , besides it's not as boring for that forgotten left foot! Good luck.

5. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    NO clutch ? I think not. I drove a automatic freightliner. It had a clutch. You used it just like the clutch in your 10 speed except only when stopping not to shift. Well except when changing from reverse to drive or out of nuteral.
    It only works as a the clutch break.
    Push it to the floor to start up and to change gears. Press N for nuteral d for drive r reverse ... make sure to press it to the floor. you can change gears manualy also if like you are going up a mountain , just put it in manual and press the up or down button. easy as a car.

6. zenix

zenix Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Oregon
    some have clutches some dont

7. bobobrazil

bobobrazil Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2007
    In Front Of You
    :biggrin_25516:You are talking about an old automatic. I have driven every kind of truck made...not bragging, just have, because I hauled piggybacks out of every manufacturer in the U.S. and Canada. Automatics, 10 speeds, Super 10's, 13 speeds and 18 speeds. Man I miss that job!

8. Big Pimpin

Big Pimpin Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2007
    KY
    Be aware I do belive if you test in an automatic you are restricted to only drive automatic.

9. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    i tested in an auto...but practiced with a rockwell 9 spd

the tester noted auto trans, but nothing has been said.

i think as long as you can prove to the employer that you can drive a manual , it doesnt matter so much

10. Big Pimpin

Big Pimpin Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2007
    KY
    Yea it shouldnt matter thats just what I heard. If it doesnt say anything on your license who would know?

11. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    I live in ohio.I took the road test in an auto and it didnt affect my cdl.The other 2 road trucks were down so they gave me a choice,either take it that day in an auto or come back next week.I just wanted to get it over with so I took it in an auto lol...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.