Auto transmission

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by homesick, Feb 3, 2020.

1. homesick

homesick Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2007
    memphis,tn
    I'm thinking about getting a automatic transmission with 2 pedals. I heard in the past they had alot of problems it will be in a 10 to 15 freightliner and I'm wondering have the bugs been worked out

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm of the mindset that having computers in the truck to operate mechanical devices is not a good thing, just something else that can go wrong.

If you can learn to drive a manual, then I say stick with that.

Some people have physical ailments that prevent them from using a clutch, I get that.

If you have to get an auto, then stick with the I shift, as that is the best one out there.

Doealex Thanks this.
  4. homesick

Nov 26, 2007
    memphis,tn
    My knee is telling me to get a auto I just need to know if they are dependable

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think the DT-12 is reliable but I also never drove one with high mileage on it. I had the Dt-12 from new to 368,000 miles on the truck only had one time the transmission could not figure out the correct gear at a stop sign. I just took it out of gear and put back in D and it worked. It was company truck so they are still running the truck and I got another new one with the same DT-12 transmission. I think the clutch is a little expensive to replace. So buying a used truck with 500,000 miles it probably time to replace the clutch. It does use air pressure to actually shift the gears. Eaton had X and Y little shifting motors that were known for going bad and get stuck and not cheap to replace. So they have made big improvements on the from the old now Eaton automatic.

I like the one I'm driving. Take one for a test driving and see what you think. The DT-12 has coasting mode that seems very weird at first when you driving the engine drops to idle. It has downhill mode that is different from manual transmission. The Jake brake on stage 3 will run the engine RPMs up to 2,200

6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Love the auto

Stay away from the Eaton 10 sp. 2010-2013... they may have software fixed them but at the time they were eating clutches.

7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    You might want to try spotting a trailer to a dock with a slight uphill grade. Work through some intersections like you were laying back waiting for the light to change. Then how does it work for you. After complaining about the intersection deal I was told: Just hold it to the floor. It will find something.
    The couple that were here did not give a lot of problems.
    Not a lot of problems but just one can be expensive. I sent a lot of time on one and came up with it has a bad wiring harness. Did not want to commit to that with my limited diagnostic equipment. Would hate to replace a wiring harness and find out it had a bad cab control module or something. Directed it to the dealer. They repaired it by replacing the wiring harness. It was there a while also. Thank the bill was $5,000. It was trouble free after that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  8. Rick11

Rick11 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2020
    I love me some ultra shift, such a smooth ride. Dont know why people hate on them so much.

flood Thanks this.
  9. homesick

Nov 26, 2007
    memphis,tn
    Any owner operators who own ultrashifts

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The total 5 minutes I spent driving an autoshift was enough for me. Pick a #### gear already FFS!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.