Automated vs manual transmissions. Which is better?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Chuck Snow CEO

Chuck Snow CEO Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2021
    Couldn’t agree more! I recently had to buy a truck with an automatic for 2 reasons 1) I needed an automatic to do road tests because you wouldn’t believe how many owner operators these days cannot drive a manual transmission and it’s a pain trying to rent an automatic some days and 2) just like you I don’t want to sit in a traffic jam wearing out what remains of my 67 year old left knee.
    I still love to get the opportunity to run through 13 or 18 gears once in a while but to really go out and go somewhere give me the automatic!
    I

BeHereNow97 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chuck Snow CEO

Chuck Snow CEO Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2021
    Shifting gears the way that we were all taught decades ago is becoming a lost art form hence the popularity of automatics. Hell so many of the schools barely even teach the students who often pay thousands how to do anything let alone drive a 13 speed!

meechyaboy, jamespmack and QuietStorm Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Auto shift transmissions are a sign of the times and they are NOT going away. You can count me in the group that prefers a manual because I always felt driving one I had more control. I mentioned that new Prostar a few comments ago. I failed to mention one aspect of that truck that made me so mad at times I could cuss and actually did! My company drove junk that did not get serviced as it should. This followed by drivers that, to be honest, don't know their patoots from a hole in the ground that constantly was breaking the equipment. At least twice a month I was stuck somewhere trying to slide tandems that were so recalcitrant I had to call for help. As soon as I put any strain on the drivetrain I got a clutch error and the truck quit. With an old manual a good run up and you could knock stuck tandems loose. This debate always reminds me of the CB radio debate. So many people think if you are not driving a manual and talking on the CB somehow you are less of a driver. In today's world, this is simply no longer accurate. Most carriers use auto shifts because they get tired of replacing clutches and having to pull transmissions to replace broken gears. An earlier comment mentioned shifting to be a lost art! YES, it is. When you have 6 months of experience training green drivers all kinds of things get overlooked. The bottom line is simple, @ethos touched on this a bit. The troubles in this industry are deeper than what kind of transmission a driver has. The need for auto shifts is in actuality a symptom of the primary problem. In my opinion, that problem is at least 50% of ALL drivers OTR and local have NOT been properly trained, and at least 25% have no business even driving a class 8 CMV! This is an opinion borne out of being in and around trucking for the last 50+ years. I have seen the changes with my own baby blues!

5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
  6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That statement might be true if trucks always stayed on the pavement, but I don't foresee automated transmissions becoming the norm in the oilfield or in logging operations.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    BINGO!

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    [​IMG]

9. Trucker Carlton

Trucker Carlton Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Georgia
    Whatever suits you the best. Older drivers who drive when all trucks were manual transmission will most likely stick with a manual but they could change.
    Whatever you feel more confident with. I prefer manual though it requires you to move and stay alert. But I can see why truckers will prefer the automatic transmission.

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Made it a few paragraphs. Then couldn't read anymore, and no i do not, nor ever will have an ape hanger but an auto is blasphemy. I've driven both and nothing compares to rowing gears weather it be a 9sp or an 18

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Just another case of sms

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.