Automatic trucks going into neutral after letting off gas peddle?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Chaseokuma, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Chaseokuma

Chaseokuma Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Why do some of these new international trucks go into neutral when you let off the gas. Whenever I speed up then take my foot off the gas you see the gear number 10 11 or 12 whatever it is in just blink and it won't down shift. The truck will eventually slow down 10 15 mph and it will still be blinking and stuck in a neutral state. I know this isn't right cause I drove many other automatic trucks including international and of course they downshift. Only way to get myn to downshift is to brake or engine brake but if I let off any of those it'll go back in blinking and spinning in neutral not catching. 2 brand new trucks off the line have done this and none of our mechanics can figure it out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Sounds like its having a engine fault. 1 of the International's at work has been having problems with the transmission. Thing faulted out when the driver was trying to leave a truck stop. He got stuck blocking the only entrance/exit for 2 hours. They towed it to a near by center. A week later i took a spare down and brought the International back. Man that thing was a turd. Had to push the brake to the floorboard to get it to go into gear. Going from reverse to drive it would miss the gear. Its been back for a week , l saw the driver Friday he said it was back out of service for the transmission. Made me glad my bid truck is a Kenworth.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  4. FFL Trucker

FFL Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Some trucks have something called e-coast.

5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Well, there's a reason they have the nickname InterTRASHanal. Of course, I drive a Vulva, I mean Volvo, so what do I know. They have their own querks.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Not sure about the IH but many of the newer automated transmissions go to neutral when you’re coasting.

Trucker61016, D.Tibbitt, flood and 2 others Thank this.
  7. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    I don’t know drivers issues Are with Auto trucks after years of driving Especially older trucks your knees will thank you in the Long run plus the fact you will feel so much more fresher at the end of the Day.

Trucker61016 and flood Thank this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    brake light switch needs adjustment...

77fib77 Thanks this.
  9. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Might be the way the company programmed it. I got a Paccar and she’ll stay in gear by disengage the clutch if I’m coasting 5-15 mph on flat or slight decline.

10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Some companies have their auto-shifts programmed to drop into neutral when coasting.
    Previous employer had some KW’s, and Pete’s that did that.
    Had a long nose Pete w/18 sp that got retired, I was assigned a new KW with auto, first day going on 1-20 west of Odessa fully loaded, pulling a loaded pup trailer started down Penwell Hill, and ‘hold on Nellie’!!
    Needless to say, the next day I unhooked that pup, and told dispatch ‘I will never pull a pup trailer again with an auto’. Never did.
    I for one, have never been ‘more refreshed at the end of the day’ when driving auto-shifts.

jason6541 Thanks this.
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    "Automatic" Transmissions in these Tractors are simply a Manual Transmission controlled by a computer. When you are coming to a stop, it will "push in the clutch", just as you would if you were shifting. Some are programmed better than others. I drive a 2019 T680. 550,000 miles. The Paccar version of the Auto Shift works flawlessly. I use manual mode in combination with the engine brake when descending grades, just as I would with a manual. Same with climbing grades. Put it in manual mode and shift manually.

12. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I very seldom ever put an auto into manual mode. I figure if the company figured I don’t have the skill to properly choose the correct gear, then piss on them. If that auto shifts, and ‘hunts’ a hundred times on that 4 mile crawl on that oilfield lease road, that’s just too #### bad.

flood Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.