averitt express, regional is low miles and transferring out can take months.

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by ernest, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ernest

ernest Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    So i've been with averitt now for over a year and i'm really frustrated. i'm in the truckload division and although the over the road/regional experience has been priceless i must say, the miles have been inconsistent to say the least. when i first started my fleet mgr gave me great miles and the communication was excellent. after a couple of months i got a new fleet mgr and the miles dropped. i dont know if it was because it was in the winter season or if the fleet mgr just wasn't/isn't very competent. i assume it's probaly a little of both. during the winter there were 3 different weeks when i got less than 1,000 miles; i roughly averaged 1,350 miles during the fall and winter . i toughed it out because i knew once i earned a full year of over the road/regional driving experience that it would open many doors for me. averitt seems to be a great company with excellent benefits , but be aware that the truckload division isn't very good or steady as far as miles and pay goes. i was hoping to transfer to a better driving department withing averitt, but here is the BIG problem with that. i've been on the transfer list for over 2 months and they keep tellling me 4 to 6 weeks, 4 to 6 weeks????? that would be okay if i was actually making steady money while on the waiting list but im not. 3 weeks ago i only got 689 miles, this week i got in early and told my fleet mgr i would like more miles and that i could stay out over the weekend in order to get them since i only had 900 miles at that point. he said that should'nt be a problem.well.... here i am on standby since last night waiting to go out again. enough is enough, i've called hr and expressed my frustrations and the hr person was very sympathetic and said she would be contacting the truckload division to see about getting me more consistent miles because my average was well below the average. how do these people expect us to make a living????? be aware if your getting into truckload for averitt, the miles aren't very good at all. needless to say, i'm actively searching for another job.......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cobra67y20

Cobra67y20 Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Oviedo, Fl
  4. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    Since I started I have averaged 2200 a week. I hate to hear this, but i don't blame you for looking elsewhere. The good thing about your year with Averitt it opens up a ton of doors at other places.

What division are you looking to transfer to? Did you apply for it on the jobline or through our FM?

5. LuckyMe

LuckyMe Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Whiteville, NC
    ernest, what terminal are you out off? I am in the process of hiring on with Averitt but I read sooooooooo many posts about Averitt's low miles. It really conserns me. I would be out of the Fayetteville, NC terminal which is close to the Raleigh NC terminal. I have read that Raleigh has a problem with driver turnover because 1500 to 1800 is their average. This is only what I have read. If they paid more than .37cpm it might be worth it, but I am scared of running into your situation.

6. ernest

ernest Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I work out of the Houston svc, and I got a dedicated job with handy hardware through the hotline. Hope it's going better for you at your end. Keep on trucking.

7. LuckyMe

LuckyMe Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Whiteville, NC
    So the Handy Hardware job is what is so slow? You think if the miles were so low they would pay you by the hour or something?

8. ernest

ernest Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Lucky, I'm out of Houston and it's the texas drivers that seem to have the same issues that I have with this company. The few drivers I've spoken to back east seem to get better miles. I recommend that you have a secondary income while working in truckload for averitt. It gets slow everywhere in truckload during the winter. Best of luck to you.

9. ernest

ernest Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    No, I'm still in truckload/regional division. I'm on the transfer list for handy hardware. I hear drivers avg between 850 to 1100 per week on that account. I've been waiting for over 2 months to be released from truckload so I can start working there. They actually put a freeze on transferring out of truckload a few months ago I heard from a manager. So keep that in mind if you plan on transferring in averitt.

10. LuckyMe

LuckyMe Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Whiteville, NC
    Thanks for the info. I wish you better luck soon.

11. ernest

ernest Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Your welcome lucky. Best of luck to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.