Back in the day . . .

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jack Smithton, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jack Smithton

Jack Smithton Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    so cal
    I have a few memories about the way it was in the 70's-80's, for what they are worth - It may not mean much to the newer drivers, but maybe there is something to be learned :
    -55 mph nationwide
    -It was not uncommon to have more that one driver license (I had five)
    -99% of drivers would flash lights after you passed
    -If you got a speeding ticket outside of your home state, you paid a fine of $30 or so and it never showed up on your home state DMV report
    -No jake brake restrictions anywhere
    -No laws regarding how close you could pass a cop on the side of the road or at what speed
    -Trucks idled overnight, at rest areas, or while the driver ate lunch - Every truck was idling
    -No DOT bumpers - If you rear-ended a truck, you lost everything from the top down
    -No super singles
    -Gasoline - don't get me started - OK to drop product on the side of the road, spill it onto the ground at a gas station . . .
    -All kinds of good music on AM radio
    -No Mexican stations on any radio band
    -Union 76 was the big truck stop chain
    -Fuel was 99 cents per gallon or less
    -Most truck stops offered full-serve (with window cleaning) or self-serve
    -CHP had no radar
    -Lots of IH cabovers with narrow sleepers
    -Condos were unheard of
    -A/C was all but useless on a really hot day

I could go on . . .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumman

Grumman Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Locust Grove, GA
    Were the roads in California any better back then? I can be in the sleeper and I know exactly when my co-driver enters CA (or I40 OK east of OKC, or I20 in LA.

JustSonny and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  4. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA

Thats how I know I'm back in CA when I'm coming westbound on 80 especially since the welcome sign is currently knocked out. I got to write down my odometer when I cross a state line to make sure everybody gets their taxes.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    And practically every truckstop had a guy that would sell us bedbuggers rubber bands made out of old truck tire tubes. No more tube tires, no more guy selling them, and the new stuff the movers supply tries to sell you, dry rots in a year and will snap you in the face every time.

DocHoliday and JustSonny Thank this.
  6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    More blast From The Past.....

I-10 and I-20 was comparable to the most advanced roller coaster ride anywhere.

We could still leave our doors unlocked while we went inside...and left the motor running.

We often chased trailers in the drop yard....in reverse.

Power steering was optional...and expensive.

Cruise control was optional, or none existant in most cases.

Power mirrors ?? What's that ??

Parking under an overpass was normal.

Radar detectors were legal in MOST states.

We actually had fun....for the most part.

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    No cell phones . Call dispatch 800 number every hour when empty to see if they have a load for you .
    MA Blue Laws prohibited operation of any truck not hauling perishables on Sunday .

8. Heart of Dixie

Heart of Dixie Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Chelsea, Alabama
    Single axle scales, inter-lining, keeping a fifty cent piece in your wallet to "stamp" your log book, Marmons, Diamond Reo, Dodge, GMC, Brockway, White Freightliners, 238 and 318 two stroke Detroit Diesels, free showers, bingo cards, huge parking lots # truck stops with real food, help in five seconds when you blew a tire, 40 foot trailers, conventional tractors were a rare sight, the "fuel stops" in Santee, SC (before I-95 was completed) hand signals on two lane roads, the Ho Chi Minh trail (209 in PA)
    Man, I forgot how much fun we did have!

puncher, FriedTater, chalupa and 19 others Thank this.
  9. Heart of Dixie

Heart of Dixie Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Chelsea, Alabama
    73,280 gross weight, keeping the CB on channel 10, .38 per gal fuel, getting green stamps when you fueled and the list goes on

10. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    You never worried about the truck coming at you or passing you(I didn't have much of that) Park in the back row of the truckstop with the windows down in summer and sleep like a baby(No one was gonna bother you cause they might get whacked up side the head) Idle the truck to stay cool(if you had AC) and idle in the winter to stay warm.KW COE Aerodynes(coolest trucks on the road) The Monfort lane. Carolina Western and those fast trucks(they were to!!) Roadway, Yellow, PIE, Intermountain, Boston-Buffalo Express(pulling 2 48' trailers-felt like you were passing a train) Flag getting fuel because nearly every truck stop was full service. Ticket was hand written. People talked to you at truck stops, rest areas, etc. Actually had a couple of kids ask me to autograph a coloring book. I can't speak for anyone else but yeah I miss the way it was. It was fun for me up until the ATA and FMCSA decided they knew more about trucking than anyone and its been hell bound ever since.

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I know you're being sarcastic LOL

Despite the "improvements" It wasn't all that bad.

I have 2 antiques here, that remind me every chance they get about the REAL "good ol days".

One started driving in the 50's, the other in the early 60's.

Hip waders are required safety equipment when they get started talking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.