Back to Square One

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ArcticWolves, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ArcticWolves

ArcticWolves Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    Well, I got a lovely call from Prime this morning with them telling me they won't be continuing with me any more. They overlooked that I had went to Roadmaster's Truck Driving School 4 years ago and didn't pass their training (I failed the alley docking test and ran out of money to continue for "brush-ups - I had to find work." Today my recruiter called and asked me more about it and said that their policy is if you have failed a previous truck driving school then they don't offer CDL training. Come back after I have my CDL and have been driving for 6 months.

That being said I guess I'm back to square one trying to find CDL training companies in the Southern California area. I just got my CDL Class A permit with all my endorsements. Does anybody know of any companies that would hire somebody with a permit and train them or should I just keep trying for other OTR companies?

I'm going to be calling up Knight, Jim Palmer, and CFI tomorrow. Although it sucks about Jim Palmer as I already told them I was going with Prime (wonder what't they'll think). All else fails I guess I'll have to pay for training out of pocket at a local school. :(

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Robertsons Ready Mix
    CRST - those dedicated accounts are good, from what the drivers post. Claim they "take home" $700.00 weekly on the Caterpillar account. Not great pay, but better than nothing.
    KLLM Transport
    Roehl Transport
    Stevens Transport
    Sygma Network - hires drivers with only a cdl permit. Apply for "Driver Helper" or "Driver Associate."

jammer910Z, SHOJim and IluvCATS Thank this.
  4. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Stay away from Stevens Transport, very poor advice for somebody to recommend them, especially from someone who has never drove for them. There is a reason there is shatter proof glass at the HQ in Mesquite, TX .... nuff said !

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Roadmaster is now RoadWerner...

austinmike and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I thought Jim Palmer was already hooked into Prime . . .

Oldironfan and SHOJim Thank this.
  7. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think Palmer and Wil-Trans pull Prime freight.

tscottme and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    no

Ityll do you Stevens haters heart's good to know that he bought 85 shiny new Volvo's and his mechanics immediately violated the warranty on all of em by messing with the computers

9. ArcticWolves

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    Yeah a few years ago I refused to illegally modify driver's logs for the company I was working for when they were being audited. Their retaliation was to not work me so I got desperate and found a craigslist ad for Werner. Recruiter said we would be reimbursed for the full cost of schooling and that I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Boy I feel so stupid for believing in all that crap. The funny thing is Roadmaster's is okay with me going back so long as I pay the difference now (I think the total cost of their program is 8000 so they want 1500 more from me lol).

Irregardless, we all have to start somewhere. I just finished putting in applications for Stevens and CFI. I'll take into mind what another poster said about Steven's here. If Jim Palmer bites I'm going to go with them. I really liked their training program was similar to Prime's. All else fails I guess I'll have no choice but to pursue this locally at a school. Roadmaster's has already agreed to print out a 160 hr training thing for me once I present them my CDL A.

Roehl and Sygma was a no go as they are not hiring in my area. :(

I still welcome any more ideas. At this point I just want my darn CDL A as I have my permit and all my endorsements. Surely someone out there must want a student they can train?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  10. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    I'd call Palmer and tell them prime postponed me for 2 weeks and I'm ready to go now.sure it's a lie and I realize that a recruiter would never lie to you. Lol

11. ArcticWolves

Sep 6, 2014
    USA
    Don't you think they would call Prime to verify that information? Or is that me just being paranoid? I guess I should be putting down that I went to Roadmaster's truck driving school in my application even though I never passed? Why should that matter to any recruiter to be honest? (I had two more attempts to take my DMV skills test (passed airbrakes, oustide inspection just needed to do alley docking and the drive test.) I unfortunately couldn't keep on going to school and take a hit in my income.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.