Back to trucking and leave corporate aggravation

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hyrate, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Cincinnati area, been mostly chemical. Tank truck and van freight

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Didn't take it that way at all. I appreciate your input as well. I figured that it may be best to lease on for a couple of years and then decide on my own authority...thoughts?

4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I did the same thing. I got tired of working for someone else (even though it was a good position in a good carrier). I have since bought 2 trucks, am buying a 3rd this summer and do not regret it at all. I cannot recommend a carrier however as everyone's way of doing things is different.

5. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Thanks for the positive advice nightgunner. I seem to make everybody else look good and I get to absorb the aggravation while they gloat in success. Just thinking that I would go back to enjoying what I do.

6. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Thinking something pre-emissions (2008), really do not want new. The engines have change so much and do not seem to run like the old CATS and Detroits.

7. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I would highly recommend taking that road. You’ll obviously give up a percentage of your line haul, but there’s something to be said for attaching yourself to a large well known name.

In addition to that, there’s a bit of a safety net when you lease on somewhere. There’s always some kind of freight available, even if it’s not anything special. Also, if I break down and need $8k tomorrow to do a repair, Landstar will give it to me after a quick review of my past settlements.

As for the money and what you’ll get out of it financially, that’s completely up to you. I bought a brand new truck in October 2016, so my net income is a lot less than someone with a truck that’s paid for or a truck they purchased used with a smaller payment. I also own my trailer, so that’s a decision you’ll have to make as well.

In my opinion, being an O/O is about building a business for the future. I expect to make more next year than this year, and I expect to make a lot more in the years after my truck is paid off.

8. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I enjoy driving , would hate to have to go back to work again.

I enjoy being a company driver , would hate to have to go back to the poverty that indentured servitude offers as an owner operator.

9. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    All good points. Looking at the tax laws and depreciations rate, there are benefits to look at both options depending on the company and lanes I may travel

10. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I bought my truck as a lease/purchase through Lone Mountain, so my monthly payments are 100% deductible and I don’t have to mess with depreciation. No balloon at the end, just 60 equal payments and the truck is yours.

11. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I understand that completely. I enjoyed driving, but now I enjoy managing my trucks and seeing my drivers succeed. The best part is when you can watch them take care of business and know that the customers are being taken care of properly. Being able to take pride in their work and brag on them is the best part as they support their families with dignity.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.